Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Well, now that I know she is a Lucy.....I notice lately she has days where she just kind of sits there.....then have energy again a couple days later. Today she is just sittin there not wanting to get up much. Perhaps sign of an egg on the way?

I just see so many people on this three getting eggs between 18 and 20 weeks. Meanwhile, not so much as a hint of interest with mine
sad.png
. I estimate my RIRs are 22 weeks and the leghorns 23. Then the comment about them being roosters. And I can't get this app to post pictures from my phone. It is all driving me nuts!
Right? Mine were all late layers. 23-25 weeks EE's and BO's. It's gonna happen! I'm getting 4 nice eggs per day from 6 hens now.

Well, now that I know she is a Lucy.....I notice lately she has days where she just kind of sits there.....then have energy again a couple days later. Today she is just sittin there not wanting to get up much. Perhaps sign of an egg on the way?
Pullets will do a lot of "practicing" before that first egg arrives. I had some that would sit for hours without producing anything.

Our Rocks started about 10 days ago...today both laying hens decided they needed to lay at the same time...but prefer the ONE nesting box...so one was on top of the other...when I saw the first egg drop I grabbed it....now she is loudly clucking! Been 10 minutes...

Quote: I'm thinking you have a Lucy. I have a Leghorn, she JUST started laying a few days ago, and looks a lot like yours. Here is a picture of her, caught in the act of laying:

Bottom pic is about a week ago. I though I had a he, but I saw her lay 3 eggs now with my own eyes. I actually witnessed the egg come out of her while she was in the nesting spot she claimed as her own.

Here is a pic from a couple weeks ago with her on my lap, you might be able to see her back feathers a little better, she keeps her tail up most of the time, rarely do I see it down:

Leghorns are pushy little things. I have 1 and she ruled my flock, till they all realized they are bigger them she is. She's still the boss she just doesn't get as pushy.

I have two Bard Rock & two silver laced Wyandotte, and one speckled Sussex (very slow), just under 6 mos. old. For a couple weeks now I've been getting 4 eggs a day
1f600.png
. Eggs are still small to medium in size. I don't think the Sussex is laying but I can't be sure. She just doesn't seem right from day 1.

My girls are laying a bit more now I think it was the heat that stalled things. We have gotten five eggs in the last three days so that's wonderful that put our total up to a half dozen! Yay! Wish I knew who all was laying. Not sure but one could be one of our EE but its a light brown egg.

The one that's dirty was laid on cement. The others were all in nest boxes. My oldest girls are 19 week isa browns and one golden laced sebright, 18 week silver laced wyandottes, 17 week buff Orpingtons and EEs

Last edited:
My rooster has not been crowing like he normally does the last 2 mornings and then this morning I noticed that I can hear little noise from him his breathing. He is eating and drinking done. They normally get to free range but we had coyote scare a few days ago and they have been locked in their run since. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom