Who feeds what to their ducks?

chickery-do

Songster
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Shellburne, NH
frow.gif
I was told by the salesperson at Tractor Supply that we could feed our 2 new Pekin Ducks chicken feed. But after reading a duck mag. they say I should feed them duck food. For all of us that got cute ducks for Easter. What would be the best or cost efficient way to go!
idunno.gif

frow.gif
I was told by the salesperson at Tractor Supply that we could feed our 2 new Pekin Ducks chicken feed. But after reading a duck mag. they say I should feed them duck food. For all of us that got cute ducks for Easter. What would be the best or cost efficient way to go!
idunno.gif

welcome-byc.gif

You can use chick starter if that is all that is available, that said you'll need added niacin because ducks require more than chickens do, Here is a sticky that will be helpful with that

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

However, what can you get? duck starter, flock raisers/all flock are another option. Basically, scout out what you can obtain locally and see which is the better of the choices.

Last edited:
I have 4 9 week old ducks and feed Flock Raiser. In the beginning I feed the TSC Chick starter and added Niacin. I like the Flock Raiser myself simply because no need to add the niacin AND those little pigs seem to like it more.

I had problems finding the correct Niacin. TSC did not have it and Walmart, Walgreens, Target, and a local GNC only had time release niacin-which you do not want.

i have 3 very lovely 3.5 week old Pekin girls that are growing like weeds haha - ive always fed them Flock Raiser - i also feed it to my 15 Barred Rocks now too since getting the ducks :)
one of my ducks sprained her leg a week ago so i also add a bit of Brewers Yeast once a day to help her - but they all eat it - i wouldn't have too normally and didnt until she fell / slipped :(

Our tsc does not have the flock raiser or the niacin so I will have to go 45 min. away to N Conway and check Paris Farmers Union. I hope they'll be alright if I have to find it online. How long should they have it in w/ their feed?

Back
Top Bottom