Who goes in the pot?

BBQJOE

Songster
Sep 25, 2015
Void where prohibited.
I ended up with three roosters out of my last order.
One is huge (He's also the one I clonked with the popcorn bowl) He's quite handsome, but has been ostracized from the flock, he spends most of his day away from all the other birds.

The next one is pretty good sized too, but is very aggressive towards the ladies, and has pecked my wife a number of times.

The third one is more docile, and not quite as big as the others.

My hope is to have a good breeder, and hopefully 1 or 2 of these new lady BO's will go to setting.

Also, I read it's ok to throw the guts to the chickens, but was wondering how folks feel about giving the blood to the dogs for a treat.

Oh, one more thing, I have an older RIR rooster who is a pretty good boy, and has never challenged anybody. I don't plan on splitting up the birds into separate pens.

i would keep chicken with best confirmation look up breed standards. ( if you are not showing/selling pick one with most meat)

I ended up with three roosters out of my last order.
One is huge (He's also the one I clonked with the popcorn bowl) He's quite handsome, but has been ostracized from the flock, he spends most of his day away from all the other birds.

The next one is pretty good sized too, but is very aggressive towards the ladies, and has pecked my wife a number of times.

The third one is more docile, and not quite as big as the others.

My hope is to have a good breeder, and hopefully 1 or 2 of these new lady BO's will go to setting.

Also, I read it's ok to throw the guts to the chickens, but was wondering how folks feel about giving the blood to the dogs for a treat.

Oh, one more thing, I have an older RIR rooster who is a pretty good boy, and has never challenged anybody. I don't plan on splitting up the birds into separate pens.
Process the aggressive one. The large one has not chance of bothering, and may pass on positive weight gain. The docile one isn't bothering anyone either, so he's also good and perhaps you'll get some more docile offspring.

Aggressive one is not going to pass on anything good, maybye a little bit of weight gain, but nowhere near worth it for the aggression.

That's kinda what I thought. I've never ended up with this many roosters in my pen before. (17 hens, 4 roosters)
It looks like Mr aggressive gets a one way trip to the cone.

Last edited:
Joe, I agree, if one is pecking your wife he just fulfilled a rooster's responsibility, he just volunteered to sacrifice himself to keep the rest of his flock from danger from you. Being pecked can cause some people to get angry, you don't want that redirected at you. When I'm deciding which one to eat it helps make my decision easier when one volunteers. Behavior is way at the top of my list when I'm making decisions like that for roosters or hens.

I missed the story of clonking him with the popcorn bowl. We all show our affections in out own ways.

When I butcher I feed the guts and various body parts that I don't want back to the chickens. That includes fat, I cut the entire digestive system including crop into bite sized pieces, and when I butcher males I toss in the male sex organs for the chickens to enjoy. I figure the hens might as well have that little bit of revenge even if they don't understand it. The livers go to the dogs. I use the hearts and gizzards myself in broth. I don't collect the blood as I use the hatchet and stump method but don't see any reason to not feed the blood to the dogs. They should enjoy that.

By the way, when I butcher I split some of the guts open to check for worms. I haven't found any yet so I haven't had to bother with treating for worms.

When I butchered, I hung a 5 gal bucket from the beak with a coat hanger. The weight stretches out the bird's neck and holds it still. I put dirt in it to catch the blood, but you could use kibble. Dogs would love it. Feed it that day, or bag it up in portions and freeze it for treats!

Back
Top Bottom