Who has a covered run?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by harveyhorses, Sep 28, 2011.

1. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    I live in an area with a ton of hawks and owls, so there is no way I could have an open top, I started with netting and a hawks went through it. (RIP Varly chick). Now I have hardware cloth, and chicken wire covered with tarps. Chain link fence, with hardware cloth inside and electric out.
    Are there really areas that don't have to worry about attacks from above?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sounds like you have it all covered so to speak, I like the fact that you took the common sense approach first, rather than goof around with silly nonsenicle idea's while lossing birds the whole time, you realized the need for a permanat fix the first time good for you.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Your chickens sound like they have a nice fortress. We have netting over the coop run, and haven't had a problem yet. But we have a big aviary with netting that the squirrels keep chewing through and a hawk has found its way in.

4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I also have the netting, only had a hawk swoop down once, and my hubby was in the run with the chickens at the time. They ran into the coop & my hubby said a few [​IMG] , Said it scared the crap out of him! [​IMG]

5. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    My run is fully roofed (joists, plywood & roofing material). I love it, shade for the birds and it will help keep the run dry.

Deb

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Half inch hardware cloth & an apron works everytime.[​IMG]

7. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:thats one great looking chicken fort..

Pink

8. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Quote:I LOVE that!

I was talking to a lady I work with and they tried having chickens, Totally unprepared. They bought a coop from somewhere, but the run was just a chicken wire fence, no roof, no back up, and they lost all of their chickens. She didn't think they had any dangers. I had to walk away.

9. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I likely should have a covered run. Our run is between our barn and a pair of gigantic maple trees. Our 2 acre backyard is a mowed field, so red-tailed hawks are around. But as for right now, they're not yet covered (run is odd shape due to natural boundaries - barn, tree, fence, tree, fence, hardware cloth fence and tree fort tree. Thankfully, our tree fort makes one tree unusable by hawks for perching. The other's shape is more suited for squirrel highway (or is it a tollway because I always see them carrying walnuts up there?) between our yard and the neighbor's yard.

Every weekend is fixing something in the coop or run or finishing some outdoor project before the cold sets in....covering the run will likely have to happen mid winter. Hopefully before it's an emergency item (like the barn window that won't close all of a sudden?! Grrr....)

10. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got a covered run! and instead of burying chicken wire, we used wire shelves like for closet storage to "apron" around the edges of the coop. Won't degrade as fast as chicken wire and heavy duty for the coyotes trying to dig.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by