Who has baby ducks? I have baby ducks! DUW!! ADDED PIC for Wildsky!

OH how cute!!!

They are just darlin'
big_smile.png

I have one lil question. What are the little green things on the ground?

Thanks, Rebel. I was waiting for someone to ask that! They are plums. The tree in the duck pen is a plum and when we were thinning them, we just tossed the ones we picked off onto the ground. When the get ripe and fall off the tree, the ducks go nuts! They love em.

Haha, Deborah! They really are cute, but they are little pains!

Hi - I'm glad you mentioned the plums. We have an old plum tree here also and it is loaded with ripe plums. The plums are bursting on the tree and falling off by the hundreds. I had tossed a few to the chickens and they were pecking at them but I knew they wouldn't eat/swallow the seed but I was afraid to give some to the ducks. But tonight I tossed them some as well hoping they wouldn't choke on the seed. Wasn't sure if they could eat them or not but thought I would try one or two. Do yours swallow them whole?

The other day I dug up my potatoes and tossed the vines in duck pen. They went nuts for the leaves. Well there were still a few tiny baby potatoes about the size of small marble and one duck got one and swallowed it. I'm thinking "Please don't choke, please don't choke" I saw the ball go down it's throat, sticking out the whole way down it's long neck till I guess it hit bottom. Duck acted like nothing to it. So today I thought I would try the over ripe plums that are just mush. Do yours really eat/swallow the whole hard green plums?

Ruth, when ours fall off the tree they are usually so ripe that they fall to pieces when they hit the ground. We eat most of them, they just get what falls off when we arent around. I find pits all over in there, so Im pretty sure they just eat the plum. These plums are pretty big, I think it would be hard to swallow one whole! As for the green ones, they dont eat them, I just have been too lazy to rake them up!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom