Who has Buff Orpingtons??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wjallen05, Apr 28, 2008.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    We have 7 straight-run Buff Orpington chicks, about 4 weeks old. I THINK they are all females. Does anyone have any pictures of male and female B O chicks at 4 weeks of age? (showing the comb). We also have 3 straight-run Ameraucanas and I know that 2 are females and 1 is a male. Unsure with the Buffs... any help would be appriciated!

Here is a pic of one... this one seems to have the largest comb of them all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have 2 buff orps 6 weeks old they were guarnateed to be female. They look just like yours, but mine seem to be more buff than yours. Maybe it is the light. Gracie is also much larger than Juliet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    In my experience, girl BO's develop wing and tail feathers a few weeks before the males. Also, the male BO's comb turned pink while the girls combs stayed the same. Hope that helps.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

wjallen05 : I would have to say, that is a pullet. I have BO at 4 weeks....cant get out there now to get pics, its raining/hailing....but, at 4 weeks, the cockerells...will have a redder comb and wattle. Yup, I would have to say...thats a pullet.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree..that's a little girl. [​IMG]

Jody

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    [​IMG] those pics are all so cute!! I agree with the above on sexing them.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

If it helps this was my 5 week old buff orp boy [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. eastTNchick

eastTNchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Decatur, TN
    What beautiful pics! I have 25 BO chicks coming on Friday (straight run), and I was wondering how soon you would be able to tell the difference. Yep, I'm a brand new chick mama (in case you couldn't tell)! LOL

9. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Thanks for the replies and the great pics- yall helped a lot!!! THANK YOU!
    Wow... I guess we have ALL GIRLS!! WOOO! What are the odds?? Hopefully they don't "turn into" boys in the next week or so!
    My husband tells me that I need to stop obsessing... but it's hard not to! [​IMG]

10. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    The nice thing about BO chicks is how soon you can see a comb and wattles. It's fairly easy by four weeks to see if it's a he or she. I don't think it's so easy on my other breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by