Who has had an egg explode?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JenniferJoIN, May 4, 2009.

1. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    So who all has had an egg explode?

B/c it STINKS! Holy moly, it was enough to make me gag just smelling it! Luckily I took all my broody's eggs away from her b/c she had ANOTHER rotten one underneath of her!

Ack!

<c>
    [​IMG]

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I had a goose sitting on eggs last spring and she had gotten off to eat and drink. My dog went in her nest, grabbed the rotten egg and it exploded! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] It was the worst smell EVER! We had box fans in our windows to pull the cooler air in (it was hot that day) OH THAT WAS SO BAD! It pulled all that stinky air in and it took a long time to get the smell out!

3. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    this just happened to one of my turkey hens.... it must have scared her b/c she got up off the nest and we lost the whole clutch! and eeeeuueeuwwwwee it was totally gross
    :-(

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I was pulling some old Muscvoy duck eggs out of a nest and I would just throw them out into the field behind our house (that was before I saw a 'possum come out of the woods and start eating those eggs one day). Anyway, as I went to throw the egg and brought my arm forward it exploded right then. I had it all over the back of my head, my back. It was nasty with a capital NASTY. [​IMG] . I forget how many showers I took and I could still smell it for days.

Steve in NC

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Ewwww, I just gagged [​IMG]

6. Natty Bumppo

Natty Bumppo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    When I was a kid I was out hunting and found an old goose nest with an abandoned egg and like a dummy I put it in my pocket. It exploded on the way home.....[​IMG]

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Oh and I forgot to add, my son being the great son that he is everytime he got near me would say, "dad I still smell rotten egg" Which would send me back to the shower, he thought it was very funny. [​IMG]

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I had one blow up IN MY FACE one time while candling. After all the initial gagging, I tried to bathe but to no avail. I finally had to get Lysol and bathe in it. Oh it was horribly wretched. AHHHHHHHH.

9. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Quote:I also had one blow up in my face candling it when all the other eggs had hatched to see if there was anything in it. It was all over the room, all over me and in my hair. That is one of the worst smells to get out!!!!

10. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    These are some funny stories! Wish I had seen some of these live! Of course it wouldn't be so funny trying to deal with the smell, but with the mental pictures I make of these stories happening, I can't help but laugh [​IMG] . Kinda like watching, or doing, the "bee" dance, when you or someone disturbs a nest! It hurts, but is funny as hell! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by