Who has one of them coops from Critter cages??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Meloout831, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Meloout831

Meloout831 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
  2. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    I don't have the chick n barn, but I do have the chick n hutch with the chick n yard (the attached run).

It will last for a little while, but it's not sturdy. I bought mine in June of 2008 and last month the lid broke so now I just use it for a brooder. The wood is very weak, especially after being outside in the rain.

3. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    I also don't believe that it is big enough for 10 chickens. It is less than 16 square feet so it could maybe hold 4 - 5 standard chickens or up to 8 bantams (IMHO).

4. dlaciv12

dlaciv12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    I bought something similar on ebay in the fall before I discovered this forum. I plan on dedicating my own BYC page to how shoddy they are built and putting these people out of business. They are really that bad. Stay posted for the pictures I plan on posting soon.

Save your money and spend it on some quality construction from someone local or try it yourself. That would be a LOT more rewarding for you and you birds.

5. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I have the Chik n Hutch, which was okay for last year when I just had 2 standard sized hens. They roosted in it at night and free ranged during the day. They laid their eggs in the next box I put in it. I found that it did NOT hold up well outside in the weather - it quickly warped. I think it would be okay for a few bantams, but it was small even for my 2 standard hens to spend much time in.

6. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I looked at one at a feed store. It's cheap construction with really no weather proofing. The color comes from a thin coat of colored spray which makes it look like it's been sealed but it's not. I think my observation is consistent with what others have said about warping after one rainy season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by