Who has roosters with frostbite? :(

Nope, don't have a picture yet, but maybe in the spring when this is all over!
I didn't get a pic of my worst rooster yesterday, so here he is:
(I can't imagine how this feels)
70915_dscf0735s.jpg

Well mine is not a rooster, but a pullet...a light sussex with a huge comb. She's the most weather daring of my birds and will go out and about on icy, windy days while the others stay in sheltered areas. After looking at some of the poor roos on here, I see that hers isn't nearly as bad as it could have been. But it still makes me
sad.png
Hers just has a little blackish at the points, and some pale, whitish coloring a bit below that. I'm not sure what'll happen with the pale tissue...???

Both of my roos have tips bitten but my biggest roo has some on the edges of his wattle. Ive been putting tripel anitbotic on them and it seems to help. Doesnt seem to bother them and its not too bad, not like some of the pics here. Since I opened the vents a little more less frostbite. I think I had things closed up too much and it got too humid. I dont let mine free range when there is alot of snow on the ground just in the enclosed run. And the last 2 days they are on lockdown. Temps and windchills too cold.

I live in Tennesse and this past week we have had brutal weather for our area. I was checking my Roos and one of my Frizzle roosters has severe frostbite all the way down to one side of his face. I don't know if there is anything I can do from home. I can't even get out of my driveway to take him anywhere.

im in chicago area and we have had record cold..put vasaline on it rub your fingers together so no lumps. Put in on just until it shines no hunks..i do this every other day...But watch for moisture in your coup..that will cause frostbite..yikes when will this end! !

Is this to treat the frostbite they have or to help prevent it? I'm with you I am ready for this winter to be done!

Top pick is my roo Mr. Big when I got him. Second one is from a week ago His comb has blu-kote on it. He lost most his tips last winter so they are nubs now. And he may lose those too. I have brought him and "his" 3 hens into our basement. His waddles would never have healed outside. This weather is crazy for NJ!!!

Chiming in from west Tennessee. My largest rooster, RIR, was lying on the ground this morning following a 3 day freeze. We have brought him indoors; he is somewhat responsive and eating (in the bathtub). He appears to have frostbite on both comb and wattles. The wattles are thick, soft as tho filled with gel. To be honest, I have never felt his wattles before this and was surprised. Is this also a symptom of frostbite .. Or is this normal?

Yes swelling is common in wattles with frostbite. Don't massage or rub the comb or wattles. The darkened area may eventually fall off after it heals in a month or so. Sometimes, it doesn't turn out as bad as we think it will be, too. Vetericyn is good to use with frostbite, and plain antibiotic ointment is good too, but just don't rub too much. Here is a good link or two to read about frostbite:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html
http://www.tillysnest.com/2013/01/frostbite-and-backyard-chickens.html

Back
Top Bottom