Who has roosters with frostbite? :(

conniesue27

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
atwater ohio
My Buff Orpington rooster has frostbite on his comb and wattles and it just seems to be getting worse. It's been an anusually cold and snowy season in NE ohio, with yet another storm on the way. Is he going to have permanent damage to his comb and could he loose the whole thing? He lives in a 10x12 hen house and has plenty of shelter,except when he's out in the run. Or do I have to just deal with this through the rest of winter, and consider roosters with smaller combs from now on?

My buff rooster also has frostbite on his comb and wattle. I have been wondering the same thing.I had already read about the vaseline . I really hate that he will be deformed now . he was such a beautiful rooster. a small tip of his comb has already broken off and his wattle is really affected. like almost half of it . since it has already been frostbitten ,can the damage spread further ?

I noticed last week that my roosters single comb was pretty black. I put the vasaline on right away. The next day I looked and most of it was back to normal except the very tips. Get it on there quick, it does help.

Me. My beloved rooster Jasper's darn comb is so big, its was just so prone to frostbite. And now he even has some on his wattles! How do you treat it?

I also have multiple roosters with frostbite.... I haven't tryed this yet but I think that I shall do it right now! It seems like BO's are prone to this...
hmm.png

Yup. Mine's got it too. He's a RIR with a huge comb and wattles. His comb is just the slightest bit bitten, but his wattles are constantly dipping in the waterer, so they are half gone. I have all the fixings to dub him should he show signs of infection, but I am really reluctant to do that to him. I am leaving in 2 week's time to go on vacation for two weeks. He can't be separated from the flock because he will freeze to death, and if he should get an infection the pet sitter would not be able to deal with it. I have a protege in the neighborhood that can deal with minor chicken problems, but dealing with wounds from dubbing and penicillin injections are slightly more than I'd expect of her. I don't want to disfigure my roo if I don't have to, but at the same time if he should get an infection while I am gone...he'll be done. He's not a great roo, so it wouldn't be a terrible loss, but I still want to do the best by him that I can.

AAAARRRGGGHHH!
he.gif
Blast this miserable weather. I did everything I could have to prevent this from happening, but when the weather is 25 degrees below zero with a biting wind, and the roo has wattles as long as my hand... What can you do?!?!? I should have dubbed him when as soon as I realized he was a boy. So frustrating.

Sorry to hijack. I have been agonizing over this for a week. I really don't like chopping on living birds, but I fear that's exactly what I will have to do to save his life.

I have been battling frostbite for the last two months on my roo with a large comb....nothing on his wattles though (he sleeps with his head tucked under his wing so I guess this is why). No matter what I do ( ie, vasoline and triple antibiotic) , it just keeps spreading further and further down the tips of his comb! I even brought him into the garage for a few nights, but it continues to spread...

Can someone with more experience tell me if this looks like "normal" frostbite? It looks weird to me, compared to what other people describe...Does it always have these inflamed looking bumps?
65860_img_9588.jpg

Ugh its so frustrating!

That is how frostbite looks when it is in its "goopy" stage. The yellow is likely pus that needs to be dried out. A little straight betadine a couple times a day for the next week will help to fix that. I'd hold off on the ointments until the points dry out a bit more. He's probably going to need some cold protection for the next couple weeks without the Vaseline coating. He is going to lose those affected points, but it will barely be noticeable on him.

Frostbite!! Here's my roosters:

70915_dscf0728s.jpg

Here's my Rhode Island Red rooster, "Big Red". I have had several nights this winter of zero to ten degrees, and for the past two nights, minus fifteen degrees!

70915_dscf0724s.jpg

Here are two more roosters; one with a mostly black comb, and one with hardly any frostbite. Wonder what the difference is?

Back
Top Bottom