Who has the best rooster

If you were to personally see the difference in the roosters that are basically a side product of breeding for production and roosters that were a result of specific breeding programs it's like night and day. Just like a game hen can't hang with a production in quantity, a layer rooster will not have the wild instinct of a game rooster.

If you were to personally see the difference in the roosters that are basically a side product of breeding for production and roosters that were a result of specific breeding programs it's like night and day. Just like a game hen can't hang with a production in quantity, a layer rooster will not have the wild instinct of a game rooster.

I agree. Layer breed roosters are generally nasty, stupid, and spacky. Overly vocal and excessively aggressive too.

Still, there's always the exception to the rule, some are pretty good. I haven't seen a decent game but I'm pretty familiar with what a good rooster looks like as well as what a bad one looks like and it really is night and day.

There's always exceptions that's very true I'm just saying in general. It also is present in the broodiness of hens, layer and game.

There's always exceptions that's very true I'm just saying in general. It also is present in the broodiness of hens, layer and game.

You're right. The hatchery produced egg-laying machines that many of us have rarely go broody because it's been bred out of them, and if sheer egg production is your primary purpose, you don't want them going broody because they stop laying when they're broody.

This cock here is a good example IMO very docile, I can pick him up hold him no problems he stands back at feeding time and let's his 2 hens eat first, maintains the nest boxes for them, alerts at flyovers and stands guard like in this photo

I think the conditions the Rooster is expected to guard the hens in makes a big difference in what behaviors to expect. My chickens free range on a forested hillside with high weeds and brush. I have a mixed flock, the roo is a young EE.

My Rooster acts as a early warning system. He will make a high sharp cluck and the hens will all drop and freeze if there is a 4 footed predator going by. Like wolves or bears. If there are birds like hawks and eagles overhead he squawks and they all run under the thick evergreens and make alarm calls. Well all but bloody stupid Anderson, who runs the other way across the big open patch then hides under the trees by herself making all sorts of racket. Anderson is a EE hen named after the Anderson in Sherlock.

To keep the predators away at night I put in a electric fence around the yard and run. It even works well on grizzly bears.

Oh no, no all I have are hawks bald eagles cats and foxes thank goodness. I can't free range at all the hawks circle daily and any loose chickens would be in their crosshairs quick

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom