Who here eats it

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quail1994, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Quail1994

Quail1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Hi:)

I would like to know who of you raise your quail for meat?

Your coturnix,bobwhites and AM's.

And also who ends your quail's life?

Do you do it yourself or do you have workers that work with them.

Sorry if I offended anyone. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:We do it in house, I can't imagine a processor would be efficient for this..

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

my son does it . he takes them to his house which is a much more rural area and processes them .He takes a percentage and returns the rest to us. there is NO WAY that i could do it as i'm too much of a wimp/softee............

4. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I eat extra roosters and sometimes I'll raise a whole batch for meat. I kill them and process them. The best way to do it is to cut the bird's head with scissors, or pull it's head. I skin them and then gut them. Before you skin them cut the wings and feet off. Then you get the final product.

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

my husband shoots the bigger birds and the rabbits in the head (turkeys and chickens).. then I am the one who skins, plucks, eviscerates and all that fun stuff
    my husband can handle the killing.. he just doesn't like dealing with the blood and guts .. [​IMG]
    I have broomsticked rabbits before and have used an axe to behead the larger birds.. it's just a lot to do when i am the one who also has to tend to the rest of the processing.. so I never turn down the extra help

when i had quail before i was the one who did the slaughtering and the processing.. it's just a quick snip with a pair of pruners.. they bleed out fast and so it doesn't take but a minute to do

i'm getting quail again.. so I already told him I would tend to them like i did before

6. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I took 6 georgia giant bobs and 2 coturnix roos out of there respective pens this morning, and in less than 15 mins they were in a salt water soak at Kamp Kenmore Spa....I gave my Bro 3 for his dinner. And yes my friend, I intend to eat the rest with great gusto!!! Bill

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    the one thing I 'll add is as I process mine I have a cooler full of ice water that as they are processed they are thrown in to the ice water I do like Bill and kina kosher em overnight in a saltwater bath

8. kimandrich

kimandrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    May I ask why you soak them in salt water?
    Thanks [​IMG]

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I raise A&M's for meat. Right now, I have 42 to butcher, 61 just hatched replacements, & 108 eggs that went in the incubator yesterday. [​IMG]

10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:I do it...

A, to leach blood from the bird.

B, to brine the bird abit.

If you have never brined a bird you should try it. It adds moisture, and flavor if you add spices, to a bird that will have a tendency to dry out when cooked. I skin my quail as it speeds up the processing greatly over plucking. Caution: when using a full on brine, dont soak it over 12 hrs without trying it first. Over brined barn yard avian is not good!! good luck, Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by