Who here has a small flock? I have three Hens I'm raising in my small backyard

The Noodle Farm

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2016
Id love to hear stories and see pics

What a nice set-up. Your daughter (I assume) looks so cute with her chickens. I have a mixed flock of 9. Originally I was going to get 4, then decided to get 6, but the day I got the chicks I came home with 8. Some of that chicken math they talk about! I lost an EE to a hawk at 16 weeks and didn't want to introduce just one new one so got 2 Iowa Blues. Now have 3 RIR, 3 BR, 1 BO, and the Iowa Blues.

I think it is great that so many people in urban areas are taking an interest in have a few chickens. Great life lessons to be learned from caring for animals that provide food back to us. I grew up on a farm and had a pet hen, but this is my first flock. We are waiting (not too patiently) for our first egg! The original ones are 19 weeks now and it has been amazing that for all being born on the same day, the different rate of development (as far as growth of combs and wattles).

What a nice set-up.  Your daughter (I assume)  looks so cute with her chickens.  I have a mixed flock of 9.  Originally I was going to get 4, then decided to get 6, but the day I got the chicks I came home with 8.  Some of that chicken math they talk about!  I lost an EE to a hawk at 16 weeks and didn't want to introduce just one new one so got 2 Iowa Blues.  Now have 3 RIR, 3 BR, 1 BO, and the Iowa Blues.  

I think it is great that so many people in urban areas are taking an interest in have a few chickens.  Great life lessons to be learned from caring for animals that provide food back to us.  I grew up on a farm and had a pet hen, but this is my first flock.  We are waiting (not too patiently) for our first egg!  The original ones are 19 weeks now and it has been amazing that for all being born on the same day, the different rate of development (as far as growth of combs and wattles).   

Yes, that's my daughter. I love watching her feed the chickens and collect the eggs. I think to myself how cool is this
1f601.png
I hear you on the chicken math... My Dad got all his grandchildren chicks for Easter. Two each. My son is young so my daughter picked them out and of course she wanted 5 not 4 so we took 5 and my dad kept 5. We ended up with 2 pullets and 3 roos. Gave my roos to a friend that has a big land with lots of chicken. Then went to visit my dad last month for the 4th and what he thought were pullets was actually 3 pullets and 1 hen. So I took his hen lol Now I have three and thankfully taking time to introduce them properly paid off and they all get along. They are about 20 weeks old. Two black ones possibly black Cooper Moran's started laying two weeks ago and my BR mix started yesterday. Very exciting!!!

my city allows up to 5 hens for my lot size they are too noisy when being locked up in the run.. so now they are free ranging all day.. nothing left of my garden now..
aww... Super cool!!! Happy Chickens
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
Love the pics. I think your black one looks like two of mine. What breed is she? They don't go in the neighbors yard at all? My 3 are pretty quiet.

aww... Super cool!!! Happy Chickens
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
Love the pics. I think your black one looks like two of mine. What breed is she?
They don't go in the neighbors yard at all? My 3 are pretty quiet.

i don't know a lot about breeds.. but another user told me that she's an australorp
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1121551/our-very-first-egg/40#post_17400008

around here most houses are surrounded by 6ft concrete wall-- i saw my leghorn jumped the wall before (chased by my dog). .so except for that one time they will just stay within the yard

if they jumped over into the neighbors' yard.. they will be dog's food ..:/ my dog is a mutt 15 lb in size and has hip dysplasia so she will not chase them that often

i might have to trim their feathers later if it's a problem..

hens are quiet until they are about to lay.. you will know what i mean when your hens also got to that age..

Last edited:
i don't know a lot about breeds.. but another user told me that she's an australorp
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1121551/our-very-first-egg/40#post_17400008

around here most houses are surrounded by 6ft concrete wall-- i saw my leghorn jumped the wall before (chased by my dog). .so except for that one time they will just stay within the yard

if they jumped over into the neighbors' yard.. they will be dog's food ..:/   my dog is a mutt 15 lb in size and has hip dysplasia so she will not chase them that often

i might have to trim their feathers later if it's a problem..

hens are quiet until they are about to lay.. you will know what i mean when your hens also got to that age..

That's cool. My three just started laying. Two started a couple of weeks ago and the other started two days ago
1f60a.png
1f414.png
1f373.png

That's cool. My three just started laying. Two started a couple of weeks ago and the other started two days ago
1f60a.png
1f414.png
1f373.png

maybe it's the type of breed

since my hens will make some really loud noises a bit too often

i can hear it from inside the house.. so letting them out will reduce the # of occurrences.. so i just let them free range all day

Back
Top Bottom