Who here has iris flowers?

I love my irises. 2 winters ago, I almost wiped out all of them by forgetting and throwing wood ash onto their beds. They definitely like acid soil. They barely survived. Last fall, I mulched heavily with shredded evergreen bough and leaves from road maintenance crews. They have showed their appreciation with mammoth growth. Looking forward to a good year this year, and a bumper year next!

One of my TB crosses from 2007 -- Golden Panther X Chocolate Ecstasy

Another TB cross from Golden Panther; I don't remember the pod parent.

This is Golden Panther -- Dykes medal winner

An IB sized iris from Golden Panther and a Standard Dwarf Bearded iris, Orange Encore.

I have, of course, more irises of different colors, but the golds and oranges shine brightly in the West Texas sun.

A few of those "other" colors:

Delicate beauty called "Bewitchment"

My personal favorite named "Decadence"

Oops, don't remember the name of this one

My favorite yellow--"That's All Folks"

That's ALL.

Last edited:
Thanks, Lazy Gardener. But the blooms are so fleeting. That's the reason I spend hours photographing them when they DO arrive. That way I can enjoy them for years and years. And years!

destinduck -- I'd have a devil of a time trying to grow those here in the desert, but they sure are exquisite. And BrendaJ you live in the state where irises LOVE to grow. I'm originally from Washington state, another Pacific NW region where irises do well. Two of the BEST hybridizers in the world live in Oregon. Check out Mid-America Gardens.

http://beardedirisflowers.com/default.aspx

Hi shanty Just put em where you have some shade.By your home or a fence maybe. Probably dont have the heat as bad as you got it but Its still pretty brutal here. But theres some hope for ya. I will say the walking iris I posted does best with hardly any sun and likes the water more than most. out of my few different kinds. But the whites and two different kinds of yellows I have handle full heat real good with hardly any watering believe it or not. But these types will keep making a bunch of flowers for a while with good watering. Those two colors are what is all over around my area,Maybe it is because they keep producing and it isnt just a one time shot all at once like most. Good luck if you try em. Maybe if outside dont work you can grow some inside Shawn

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom