Who here has iris flowers?

mindylee

Songster
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
Lapeer Michigan
I have hundreds of different colors, sizes, shapes, & species of iris. Im addictded to collecting them and cant wait every year to see my field in bloom. After collecting so many, I gave up on keeping track of their names and tossed out all the tags. Now they just bloom everywhere and love looking at all the crosses that bloom.
If I knew how to post pics, I would share!

Anyway, who else out there is a iris lover?

I have a very, very small patch of Irises that I just adore--a couple years ago my goat had eaten them down before they could bloom
somad.gif

They are purple and smell like grape! I would love to see pictures of yours. Do they all have that wonderful scent?

I'm not responsible for the irises that bloom around our house....they were already there when we purchased our 100 year old house two years ago. They are a lovely lavender color and are just about to bloom. They all have tight little buds on them right now. I remember my grandmother having lots of lovely bulb plants in circular beds around the huge oak trees in her front yard. She had some of the darkest and deepest purple irises I've ever seen and I loved to look at them but she had white and yellow ones too. She had tons of tulips and hyacinths in those beds as well. We went to visit her every year at Easter and her front yard was always in full bloom.

They are purple and smell like grape! I would love to see pictures of yours. Do they all have that wonderful scent?

I'm so excited to hear of someone else who has this type! Everyone looks at me like I'm crazy when I describe the iris that smell like grape soda!
I've never come across another variety with this smell, just the one that has flourished on my families farm that I believe my mother brought from Nebraska.

I am a lover of iris myself, by far my favorite flowers!

I am hooked on bearded iris,i try to buy new colors or trade for new colors each yr. I have some that haven't bloomed yet,so i am so excited
wee.gif
to see the surprise when they bloom. This is my girl that just bloomed, i too lost track of the names.

I planted some irises last year that a co-worker gave to me when she divided hers. The antelope and rabbits kept them mowed down to 1-2" in height all summer. I see, now that the snow has melted away for the second time - that they are growing and about 2" high. Gotta get them fenced tonight and see if I can save them.

Any suggestions on fertilizing irises. We have pretty poor soil, and I just dug up the ground as stuck them in the loose soil last summer.

I've never fertilized mine in the 18 years we've lived in this house and they've grown and spread like crazy even where they were just tossed against the fence and forgotten. If you can keep the deer out of them, they should do fine but need their green leaves to store up energy in their rhizomes for next year.

Back
Top Bottom