Who is hatching out your goose eggs?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Cottage Rose, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    You might try changing the post title to... "best early spring LF broody fro Michigan weather" [​IMG]

I wonder if better winter laying breeds tend to go broody earlier in the season and when it's still cold. Maybe favs or Dorkings??? I wish I could help [​IMG] Surely you will find your answer!

Maybe have a couple of 'other' geese just for this purpose and swap their eggs out for Sebbie eggs??

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  2. peachick

peachick Songster

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    Quote:Yes this is what Holderreads suggested to me.... or even some pet quality sebie hens. That will be the next thing I do.... if the ducks dont cooperate.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    pips&peeps :

My Dickey hatcher............

It's like -10 with the wind chill today. When oh when will the winter end??????

Quote:'Global warming' [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Quote:Well duh! Why didn't I think of that?? [​IMG]

Bullwinkle....no global warming here.
    Must be they only get that down south! [​IMG]

5. corancher

corancher Songster

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I have 12 goose eggs under 3 broody Orpington hens. I like the thought of using other geese to incubate the egg of the rare breeds. I think I will try it and see how it works out. Thanks for the info. I never thought of it either. DUH.

6. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Songster

Feb 18, 2009
    Quote:I could have sworn I saw you hatched out sebs...did something go wrong...?

7. Quote:I could have sworn I saw you hatched out sebs...did something go wrong...?

Nope, not yet! [​IMG] I have two due today or tomorrow and I heard tapping last night!

Last spring, had one that developed to about 3 weeks and died in the shell. This year, I've gone through 12 already. [​IMG] Luckily, now that Brodee is not eating my eggs anymore, I was able to set a few of my own.

8. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Songster

Feb 18, 2009
    so post us on how it goes okay...I have two due sometimes this weekend....lets pray together ! [​IMG]

9. Quote:I will! The two that are due...I have them at 84% humidity...and I heard tapping from one of the eggs. I wanted to open the bator sooo bad! LOL

10. ml

ml Songster

Mar 4, 2007
    Now to find a Scovy that will hatch out Sebb eggs for me [​IMG]

ML

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: