who is laying me a pretty cream colored egg?

igotchickens

Songster
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Hi all! Merry Christmas to me! Another of my hens started this week! I haven't been able to figure out which one, because I wasn't at all expecting a beautiful cream colored egg! It is definitely not a light brown, it's really like what paint companies call "eggshell" haha. So far I have 4 hens laying. 2 brown (RIR - big 7days/week and a ?? - small about 3-4/week). One is laying white about 3-4/week, and now I've gotten 3 creams in 4 days!
Okay so my hens are: 2 RIRs (brown, right?), 2 Ameraucanas (blue, so far none), 2 California whites (whites, I'm guessing?), a BO (light brown? may be the new brown layer), a Splash Andalusian, an Apenzeller Spitzhauben, a Plymouth Partridge Rock, and a black/green iridescent hen which after posting a picture, was narrowed down to either: Black Australorp, Black Sumatra or Black Jersey Giant. Oh, and the person I got her from called her a "Russian". If it helps she's enormous, bigger than all the rest, but I don't think she's the one laying because her comb is not really red, still more pinkish. Thanks everyone!!!! I can post pics if you would like, just let me know.

Last edited:
Buff Orpingtons, Production/Rhode Island Reds, and your black hen all have the possibility of giving you your cream egg.
smile.png
Since there's the good likelyhood that your birds are from hatchery stock, I'd say you just have to find out yourself who, because hatchery stock birds tend to vary with the shade of brown. Even having a bunch of hens of one breed will give anything from slightly dark brown to very pale cream color.
smile.png

I have an Ameraucana that lays a cream egg. I kept 2 for my granddaughter, and only one lays a green egg. The cream is very light and almost transparent.

Quote:
Then it is not an Ameraucana.
wink.png
Easter Eggers may lay a cream or green egg, but true Ameraucanas only lay blue eggs, but are allowed a blue-green color as well.

Mt Healthy advertised them as such. I guess I'm just happy that it's laying eggs and healthy. I received a mixed bag from that hatchery, but for egg production and size, my RIR's are champs, regardless of the egg color.

My thought too, you may have EE's and not true Ameraucana's . I have 6 EE's that I bought from a hatchery thinking I was getting Ameraucana's.
Of the EE's one lays a blue, 1 cream and 4 green. Here's a pic with my cream egg in the middle. Yes, it's always that big and the bird it comes from is also big.
I don't know why, but when I'm collecting eggs and find hers I feel like I've found a gem.
49067_img_8699.jpg

49067_img_8171.jpg
49067_img_7474.jpg

My Cali White lays creme colored eggs only. Kinda disappointing IMO. I wanted a white egg layer. Should've bought a White Leghorn I guess. There's a wildcard in every brood.

Back
Top Bottom