Who is laying?

Jan 12, 2021
Does anyone know how to tell who is laying and whos not? I have 5 chickens and only 2 are laying and I think I know which one might be laying but I only would know one out of two of the chickens that are currently laying and that's just me guessing. I really have no idea. Do most people not know which chicken is laying? Is that a normal thing or is it just me?

You can tell by using the chickens pelvic bones. It should be under the chickens vent. If you can fit atleast 3 fingers between the bones, that chickens is laying, if not its not laying. Also do all your chickens lay the same color?

You can tell by using the chickens pelvic bones. It should be under the chickens vent. If you can fit atleast 3 fingers between the bones, that chickens is laying, if not its not laying. Also do all your chickens lay the same color?
X2 I checked my pullets pelvic bone yesterday and she was at 3 and she laid me an egg today for the first time!

1-2 fingers means not laying
3+ fingers means laying

They lay mostly the same color, they are all light brown sometimes the shades vary but only two are laying and I'm not really sure which egg comes from which chicken. They are also inconsistent in sizes sometimes which I find weird.

They lay mostly the same color, they are all light brown sometimes the shades vary but only two are laying and I'm not really sure which egg comes from which chicken. They are also inconsistent in sizes sometimes which I find weird.
The sizes will get larger from when the chickens starts laying and when they have been laying for some time.

Back
Top Bottom