Who is she/he?

Thank you for rescuing this boy. It really upsets me how many drakes get dumped -- mine are all rescued drakes as it is really hard to rehome drakes.

Your boy needs duck food. Chicken maintenance diet will be fine temporarily but does not contain enough niacin for ducks. If you maintained him on chicken feed, you would have to supplement with brewers' yeast -- 1 tablespoon per cup of chicken feed. Or supplement with food-grade nutritional yeast, but that is much more expensive [although it contains more niacin, too]

Your new boy may try and mate with your hens in the spring and so he needs to be separated from your chickens. But he will also need ducky friends as ducks are flock animals and need a social life. You might keep an all drake flock of 2 or more drakes; or you must get at least 3 females to keep him company as he might over mate just one or two females.
I know! I don’t get people… they can be so cruel…

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, I’m going to give him some oats and mealworms tomorrow, I know it’s not perfect but it’s better than what he’s been eating these past few days. :( I’ve been wanting to go to my local tractor supply to get my girls/family some Christmas anyway so might as well! Unfortunately I can’t get anymore ducks since this is a rescue, but if I come across someone who can rehome im him all for it. Me and my cat will keep him company!

I know! I don’t get people… they can be so cruel…

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, I’m going to give him some oats and mealworms tomorrow, I know it’s not perfect but it’s better than what he’s been eating these past few days. :( I’ve been wanting to go to my local tractor supply to get my girls/family some Christmas anyway so might as well! Unfortunately I can’t get anymore ducks since this is a rescue, but if I come across someone who can rehome im him all for it. Me and my cat will keep him company!
Where are you, @catobsessed? Your local chapter of the Humane Society or branch of SPCA might be able to find an adoptive home for your boy

Where are you, @catobsessed? Your local chapter of the Humane Society or branch of SPCA might be able to find an adoptive home for your boy
Mississippi, but the only no kill humane society has so many animals, and they aren’t really equipped for ducks or any birds for that matter. :( they really just specialize in cats and dogs. I’ll just see how he’s doing here and if he thrives he can stay, and if not, I’ll look around to see where he could be rehomed! There is a duck pond but I’m not sure if the other ducks will accept him and if he can forage on his own :/ and since his wings are clipped, there’s that to consider too. It’s a sad situation ☹️

Not sure why his wings are clipped, but that will not affect him much as most domestic ducks are not able to fly. Are you talking about wild ducks in a pond? This duck will not survive in the wild. His crest makes him very vulnerable to head injuries. It also means he is not a good candidate for breeding.

Please don't take him to a community pond like was mentioned he most likely would not survive long.

If you don't feel it's working out for you to keep him reach out to your state forum here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ooked-letter-ahh-nevermind-mississippi.25131/
he's a beautiful drake.
Oh no don’t worry! Uncle Waldo is here to stay! This poor guy has been through enough, I’m not going to put him through anymore stress. I was just saying if he was more of a wild duck that would be more ideal for him, but he’s clearly a tame duck. His life won’t be 100% perfect here, but it’s better than aimlessly wondering around the neighborhood and hanging out in the middle of the street. I’m going to do everything I can to make him happy here 🥰

I think what happened was someone dropped him off at a nearby pond and he was like NOPE!

Back
Top Bottom