Who is your best layer?

ctcasper

Songster
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Minnesota
I have a gold sex link (Goldie, even though she is really red colored) anyway, she is my absolute best layer. I get an egg from her almost every day even though I am in Minnesota and the weather is crummy and there is less daylight now. Today and yesterday it was colder than blazes and I fully expect to get just 2 eggs or less in the coop, she layed both days and I actually got 3 to 4 eggs all last week. They are in an all wire coop that was suppose to be a tractor for the summer only, but there big coop isn't finished yet. The tractor is covered in 2-3 blankets and one end is covered in clear plastic then a blanket and they are still laying even though it is dark in there all day and the temps are well below zero. I am just so impressed by their hardiness. I have 5 buffs, 2 barred, 1 gold sex link and two mystery chickens. 8 hens and 2 roos. We thought about butchering them instead of keeping them in the tiny coop all winter, but they all get alongs so well even in cramped quarters and my 2 roos don't fight at all, so I don't want to butcher these and then get a bad flock next spring. Besides, we've become quite attatched to these. Will they be okay in these conditions?

What breeds do you have that are great layers in the winter, we are probably going to get a couple more gold sex links next summer when the coop is finished.

This is my first winter with my girls but so far my white leghorns lay every single day! Of course, I have added a red light to their coop to extend the daylight a little.

my cookoo marans lay everyday and my silverpenciled Leghorn does too and she's so friendly. She follows us all over the yard. And squats for me its too cute.

We have a standard white cochin mix hen, and a standard black cochin hen, that have layed eggs almost every day for the past month, when most all the other hens have quit completely. Oh, and a bantam EE that lays daily as well.

I don't know if she is a Barred Rock (w/ white legs) or a Cuckoo Marans that lays a light tan egg, but she is my best layer. I get an extra large egg from her almost every day.

Next in line would be my Red Sex Link, her egg is just a bit smaller, but I get one almost every day. My Cochin and EE also lay very consistently.

Although they have slacked off due to the cooler weather, my red stars are my best layers. I was getting up to 9 daily. Now its 3 to 4.

I have a mixed flock of 22, and I have one hen, I dont know who it is, but she lays a double yolked egg EVERYDAY! for two weeks now, we find this monster egg, in a different spot or nest. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is my young buff Orp, but she is so young, (June 9th hatching) that I just cant believe its her. My only other choices tho (that lay bigger eggs) is cochins, or my much older RIR's, and they usually are speckled!

So, I have a great layer, but I dont know WHO she is, does that count?!

can you guess which one is the double yolker?
14075_100_3229.jpg

Back
Top Bottom