who knows about hampters?

TexasChickenLady

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Pampa, Texas
my son has had this hampster Biscuit is his name and his pre-k teacher gave it to him the last day of school last year. Biscuit was the class pet. I don't know how old he is but he's been doin fine as ar as eating drinking poopin all that but today, I moved his house inorder to move the desk it was on well he woke up and came out. No Big deal, so I just went in there and noticed he was all curled up in the corner and breathing really hard one eye didnt want to open. Do you think he might be sick? Dying, or just nocturnal and cant see that well. But what would explain the racing heart? oh and he bit me. he's not a biter. I dont kno what kind he is, but he's a long haired hampster. We are not hampster experts, we just didnt have th heart to tell ds no. Thanks for any help.

Hamsters have a very fast heartbeat. Most very small animals do.

Perhaps he was still sleeping. As hamsters age, they spend a lot of time loafing around.

Hamsters don't live very long, a year or two at the very most.

if this rapid breathing is very labored i'd say he's probably not long for this world. I dont mean to upset you but it does sound like it esp since one eye isnt opening and he bit you which you know to be not normal for him. YOu could take him to your vets, but many vets dont know what to do for small guys like him. But yes all small aniamls like that their hearts beat really fast but obvious labored breathing isn't normal.

We had a hamster and she was the devil. If you woke her up and tried to pick her up she would roll onto her side and bite. Come to think of it, I guess I would too if someone woke me up out of a dead sleep! If you woke her, she just may have been PO'd and thats why she bit. Like the chicken lady said, they only live a few years.

Hamsters normally live 2-3 years. They are very jittery if awaken and will bite if startled. Females also are bad to bite while they are pregnant and while raising their babies. The long hair means your hamster is probably what most pet stores call a "fancy" or "teddy bear" hamster. As far as rodents for pets, a hamster is probably near the top as far as frequency of biting. Gerbals, mice, rats and genny (spelling) pigs do not bite near as often as hamsters do.

Does the hamster have a wet rear end? If so it is called wet tail and can kill quickly. You need a med called dri-tail and give twice the recommended dosage orally.

What bedding is the hamster on? Cedar is a no-no for them too. It can cause respiratory problems.

If you want a sweeter rodent for a pet look into rats. You will need to get 2 if you decide to go that route as they are social.

Good luck.

I was too late posting, I just came on here to check the replies to the hampster post and read about that wet tail thing. So I got up and went in there to see if his but was wet and he has died. ugh. Thanks any way ya'll.

So sorry
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom