Who knows their pumpkins??

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
A friend of mine has a pumpkin growing wild in her yard. The pumpkins look ALOT like the shape of normal pumpkins but are the color and texture of butternut squash...... I have searched all sorts of varieties, but gad I had no idea how many there were!!

Any guesses what type of pumpkin this could be??

pic?
hmm.png

yeah there are sure alot of pumpkins outs there.
i saw for the first time a "white" pumpkin... it was real pretty. dont know why i didnt buy it.
hmm.png

You guys are SO smart! But, I don't think thats it.

I looked and the Long ISland cheese are usually shorter than tall. This one was the same size as a standard medium pumpkin. And the ribs were shallower than usual.

This one DID have deep orange flesh (smelled great too.) I had NO IDEA there were so many varieties!!!

Any other guesses??

There are more varieties of pumpkins (winter squash) than you can shake a stick at.

Around here is where they grow the Libby's pumpkins. What's interesting is that they don't look like jack-o-lantern pumpkins at all. They're tan skinned like a butternut and shaped more like a spagetti squash. I've read that they're actually a type of butternut and not a 'pumpkin'.

I grew about an acre of winter squash this year. Mostly Kabocha (Japanese type of winter squash), quite a few butternuts, acorn squash, pie type orange pumpkins, a couple of carving pumpkins (takes a breath), a 'blue pumpkin' plant, neck pumpkins and I'm probably forgetting a variety. Anyhow, I don't save seeds from them because sometimes they'll cross and then you have no idea what you're growing.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom