Who laid it? My first egg!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CGilbert, Nov 22, 2015.

1. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Well I was beyond surprised this morning when I went out and found my first egg.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I'll start off by saying I have possibly 3 girls of laying age, all Ameraucanas. I purchased 2x 1 year old hens 3 weeks ago. Then I have a 7 month old. The 2x 1 year olds supposedly were laying at some point this year, so when I got them, I set up a light in the coop to provide 14-15 hours of light. Never got anything but I kept the light and timer going. I know that sometimes, due to stress/new environment, they will stop laying for a while.
    Then, this last Tuesday, we got hit with a huge windstorm and lost power until last night. I never plugged the light back in (until this afternoon) because the extension cord was still in use. But considering how little light the girls were getting, I was just flat out amazed that I got an egg.
    Any guesses on which girl it was? One of the two older girls or my 7 month old?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going to guess its your 7 month old. The egg is a little on the smallish side...but a very nice egg! The 7 month old will be less affected by the change in daylight and begin laying where the one year olds will probably take a break.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by