Who laid the first egg?!!!

Utopianite

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2016
Want to take a guess? We got our very first egg today! We have a black Australorp, a Barred Rock, and a few Amerucanas. My teenage son thinks the egg is olive colored, and I think it's light brown. The Amerucanas are supposed to lay light blue I think. They're 23 weeks, and the Barred Rock and Australorp are 17 weeks.

Last edited:
I'm new to this. But I would go with the black Australorp. I've heard the Americanas lay blue or green eggs. We just got our first one yesterday. Our leghorn layes a white egg. We know it was her because we accidentally left her in an area by herself. Everyone else was outside.

I've heard you can check vents to determine if a hen is laying already.

A deep reddening on the face and comb and wattles, combined with squatting if you approach a pullet can indicate signs of sexual maturity, and eventually, laying. I'd say its either your Australorp or your Rock - I don't see any olive colouring.

CT

I have a couple of Australorps and a Barred Rock (and a few other breeds too). I can't tell the difference between my BR's and my BA's eggs unless I catch them laying. The Rock lays first thing every morning before I go to work. The Australorps always choose a separate nestbox from the other hens (I have an IPcam pointed at the boxes to see who's doing what).

Want to take a guess? We got our very first egg today! We have a black Australorp, a Barred Rock, and a few Amerucanas. My teenage son thinks the egg is olive colored, and I think it's light brown. The Amerucanas are supposed to lay light blue I think. They're 23 weeks, and the Barred Rock and Australorp are 17 weeks.
I kinda/maybe see some olive.....it's very hard to photograph.
Break the egg open and right away peel the ehite membrane form the inside of the eggshell...is it blue or white?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom