Who laid this egg??? Anyone have experience with bantams?

dutchbunny83

Songster
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
I ordered one day old chicks the first week of November and they finally started laying!!!
I also picked up 4 grown supposed egg laying hens at the flock swap- 2 Wyandottes and 2 Americanas.
I am positive one of the Americanas is NOT laying. I have no idea with the Wyandottes.
I have one blue silkie bantam that I have raised as a day old chick. We were convinced he was a rooster by his personality. He almost herds all the girls together, whenever there is a scuffle he breaks it up, and when the new hens came in he kept putting himself between my hens and the new ones. When one of the new hens would peck at one of my hens, Prince (my silkie) would go after them.

THEN, when I go to gather eggs today I find this small brown one with some blood on it (which I was assuming was someone's first egg). Based on the size, I am thinking it belongs to my silkie bantam, which would make him not a rooster!!!

In my photo I put a store bought regular large egg for size comparison. The big green one is obviously from the Americana, the big brown one next to it is from one of my Barred Rock's that just started laying. The fat medium sized one next to that I am guessing it belongs to one of the Wyandottes. Then the smaller brown one with the blood smear is my mystery egg. I've been stalking the coop to try and see who's laying one, but I have some sneaky chickens!

PS- the one egg is solid brown, it comes across as speckled because I took the pic before they were washed.

Any insight is appreciated.
THANKS!

I have 4 hens laying and I am getting 2 light brown and 2 light tan eggs...I stalk my girls...sometimes they have made it hard because 2 of them will share the nesting box at the same time...but I think that I have them figured out...if they hatch, it will really help...good luck...

So I don't know who is laying the egg, but it's definitely NOT my silkie bantam.
I just caught him cock-a-doodle-dooing!
I was told silkies don't really crow.
He better get it together because he is my favorite and our city zoning doesn't allow any roosters :(

Back
Top Bottom