Who laid this egg? *Updated! Check this out!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CowgirlPenny, Jul 8, 2011.

1. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I did not observe anyone acting 'weird' so I have no idea who laid this! My FIRST egg!!!! It's gorgeous, heavy and a nice hard shell. In that coop I have Barred Rocks, Australorps, Production Reds, and Black Sex Links.

Any idea who's getting extra treats tomorrow? LOL [​IMG]

Also, I have not been in the coop since way earlier today, this could have been outside for 9-10hrs. Is it ok to eat? Whoever it was even laid it in the nestbox on the end. THIS is what I have waited for since they hatched and arrived Feb 23. [​IMG]

So I use my little first egg tonight. It has a gorgeous hard shell and cracks like a dream. Then I see this!

As if finding my first egg was not exciting enough, a double yolk!!!! Such a dark rich color. I could not be more pleased!!!

and just for comparison, here is my little double yolk on the right and a store bought free range brown egg on the left. Notice how much egg white there is in the store bought and how much YOLK is in the backyard egg!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    how exiting![​IMG]
    I'm thinking bard rock!
    it is fine to eat. eggs that are fresh can kepp for a few days outside
    enjoy your egg. and the many more to come:)
  3. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    I was just told that mine was from a sex link because of the dark color. And the only other chicken that would have laid would be a BR, so I think that's a BR egg!!! [​IMG] Can't wait for my light tan egg! I got our first egg today and figured everyone will soon be following so I went out and bought those nasty looking freeze dried meal worms! It TOTALLY grossed me out but they deserve it for the eggs, right????? hahahahaha [​IMG]
    And also from what I learned today is that the whiteish film over the egg that makes it look lighter than it really is, is the "bloom" a substance the chicken gives to the shell to seal out the bacteria. People in south america don't refridgerate their eggs at all, so I think it will be good to eat!!! WOOHOO [​IMG]
  4. LadyAndHerPeeps

LadyAndHerPeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Camden County Georgia
    My bet is they ALL get treats tomorrow:thumbsup
  5. ChicKat

ChicKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Congratulations on the first egg Cowgirl Penny!
    Awesome. My BPR lay a little bit darker than that -- but from your flock they may be the lightest colored egg layers. You're in for exciting times as you figure it all out.

Quote:Congrats HurstsHens... and yea for the sex link.
    Lol--- it is all in the eyes of the beholder. You think meal worms are gross and your chickens think they are HEAVEN.
  6. Bev in Nevada

Bev in Nevada Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    congrat's! I think that everyone should get treats! My Barred Rocks lay eggs that color. What a nice size for a first egg!
  7. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

My Black sex links lay light colored eggs just like that. My Production reds lay a med. redish brown egg. Can't help with the others.
  8. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    The Sex Links definitely look the most 'ready' but one of the BR does too, so I can't be sure who!! I'm just excited. I hope the rest follow. Now to get some oyster shells or something for them!

This was a few days ago. You can see that some have really red and full looking combs and wattles, others not as much.

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Penny, iffn ya really wanna know, pick them off the roost tonight and feel the bones UNDER the vent. The layer will have room for 2-3 fingertips to be placed between the bones. The ones that aren`t laying, room for only one fingertip. Ya don`t hafta get your fingers dirty.........Pop
  10. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Usually the Sex links will lay at an earlier age.This being said,In the pic you Aussie looked like she was getting ready for laying. As for egg color....When the hens first start to laying,the colors will generally be lighter and darken as they go.However at the beginning their "paint factory" is still getting set.So you could come out with almost white to really dark to half and half.Don't be surprised if you go in there and the same hen has laid a quail size egg....She's just starting out,,,gotta regulate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by