Who laid this egg?

Cluckatar

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Vashon, WA
We have five hens that are just reaching egg laying maturity, and today we found a beautiful little egg. There are two barnevelders, a black copper marans, a speckled sussex and a welsummer. Any guesses on who laid this egg? The roosters have been interested in all of them lately. The egg for size and color contrast is from our silver cuckoo marans. I'm certain it's not the sussex but otherwise I'm not really sure. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7268.jpeg
    IMG_7268.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7270.jpeg
    IMG_7270.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7273.jpeg
    IMG_7273.jpeg
    625.7 KB · Views: 12
The picture is becoming... well less clear. At least three of the young hens are laying this week for the first time. Speckled sussex is for sure that pinky tan egg. Today's egg, however, muddies the water a bit. Our options are welsummer, barnevelder (2 hens) or black copper marans. First picture is yesterday's eggs, including two easter egger adult hens, and one silver cuckoo marans for size and color reference. Second pic is the baby eggs we've gotten in the past three days. Top left corner is new today. It looks like a different hen from the other two brown eggs, no? I suppose it doesn't matter, but I'm having fun figuring it out :)

Attachments

• IMG_7290.jpeg
    IMG_7290.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7304.jpeg
    IMG_7304.jpeg
    605 KB · Views: 14
My Welsummers didn't start laying until 25-26 weeks, and the breed generally only lays 4 eggs per week. True of my 2. The egg size is still around 50 grams. Slowly getting larger.

I think the dark eggs are being laid by the Black Copper Marans. The lightest are definitely the Speckled Sussex. Now I think the newest eggs (lower right on the left half of pic & upper left on the right side) are probably a Barnevelder? The Welsummer is yet to be heard from. 24 weeks old at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_7395.jpeg
    IMG_7395.jpeg
    541.5 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom