Who laid this HUGE EGG?

hillaryg

Hatching
Mar 20, 2016
California
We came home yesterday to find this huge egg! In the picture, it is next to one of our normal large eggs. Does anyone know if it came from a golden sex link, buff orp, or easter egger? I have yet to determine who is laying what. I have six hens and getting five eggs a day so I am very curious as to who is laying which ones. Sorry if this is a silly question. I am new. Do you think she will lay this large all the time?

No silly questions! See all those store bought eggs are nice and uniform. Raising your own birds, you'll see things that people who buy the processed eggs won't ever see unless they have a laying flock. Wavy shells, huge double yolk eggs, small "fart" eggs, shell-less eggs etc. None of these are usually a cause for concern if they don't happen regularly. As the girls lay more and more, their eggs will even out in size. Still, every once in a while you may get a funky looking egg! It's hard to tell which bird laid which. It most liekly wasn't the EE. You'll know she laid when you find a bluish to green egg. Most of my Orps lay a pale brown colored egg, so my educated guess would be that it came from your BO. That's just a guess though. Crack that egg open; it may have a double yolk!
big_smile.png

That's the pale beige color I've seen from my one Buff Orp. Ditto on the double yolk--you could hard boil it and slice it in half and take a cool picture for posterity!

We have 9 RSA reds who began laying this summer around July (we got them as chicks in March). We consistently get 9 eggs per day and almost since the beginning have been getting one of these honkers 2 yolks in the mix every single day. The latest one was just huge! Like a duck egg. Hope our gal's ok!

Welcome to Backyard chickens! Wow, huge egg! It does look like the color of a Buff Orp, but I know that Golden sex links have a history of laying massive eggs. I hope you enjoy Backyard chickens!

Back
Top Bottom