Who lays biggest eggs?

JudyMcKinn

Songster
13 Years
Jan 24, 2007
SW MO
I am wondering which chickens lay the largest eggs? Actually, probably white leghorns? But who's next? Do brown leghorns lay a large egg also? They would be a little prettier. I would like to get some layers who lay a pretty good size egg.
I have recently acquired 8 RIR hens and a roo from a neighbor who is going into turkey raising in a big way, so can't have chickens on his place. They have been laying about a year, and still lay a smallish egg. Soon after they started laying for him, I got a couple dozen eggs from him and incubated them. Saved the pullets, and when they started laying, they laid a very small egg--about the size of my Silkies eggs, and they hadn't gotten any larger after a couple months, when I sold them. I had always thought RIR's laid a pretty good egg. comments? Thanks.

The biggest I have ever seen on a consistent basis were from a friends Turkens. You might check out the Henderson's Chicken Chart. It has egg size info there.

Hmmm. I just posted and it didn't show up. The Henderson chart doesn't show many listings with large eggs, does it? I can't imagine why my RIR's are laying such small eggs. The H. chart shows them as large egg layers, as well as a couple of you who are replying say you get large eggs from RIR's.
My neighbor/friend who gave me these got them as baby chicks from a farm store, who got them from a hatchery, I am sure. Strange!!???
hmm.png

Liz, the 8 hens I was given have been laying since last summer. I guess they are about a year and a half old now. Still laying eggs pretty small, tho a little bigger than a silkie egg now, usually.

Quote:
That is very weird . LET me show you a picture of my lil grand daughter holding 2 eggs from a NEW LAYER and to me they were kinda on the small size . BUT that sure changed QUICK .

9529_hannah_egg_day_003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom