Who left a rubber band?

Buy a game camera, and place it to take pictures of the trap when theres activity around it. That will tell you exactly what it is, and what's happening.

The rubber band makes me think that it was a nesting animal on its way back home, and who stopped off for a bite to eat. In my area, the mammals most likely to choose string and similar materials for nesting are mice, rats and squirrels. Of the birds in my area, Robins top the list of those who are most likely to also be drawn into a trap.

Flour sounds like a great idea!

Racoons have no problems reaching in a trap and grabbing bait, especially ones that have been previously captured and released. Sometimes they simply flip the trap over and the bait falls out. Maybe try staking your trap down and wrap it in some hardware cloth or chicken wire if it is a small predator. Good luck!

You know raccoons collect objects, usually shiny things but maybe it liked the red rubber band and put it down while stealing the food.We have found all sorts of things in hollow trees on our farm, usually metal or shiny but not always.

keep us updated I wanna know!
smile.png

If you have them, set the trap on bricks lined up like an outline of the trap (with no gaps) Put the bait within the brick outline and set the trap on top of the bricks. Put something heavy like a cinderblock on top so it can't be tipped over and set the trap. The animal can't tip it over and can't snag the bait so it has to walk in to try and find it. Eventually it'll step on the trigger plate.

Gotta admit though, it sure sounds like someone is messing with your head on that one.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom