Who Raises Rose Comb Minorcas?

Omniskies

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
Missouri
Does anyone breed Rose Comb Minorcas of any color? I've been trying to hunt down other breeders for months with no success.

Anyone?

Superior Farms has some.

I know a kid named Travis Akehurst that DID have some, but I "think" he wound up selling them. Minorcas just aren't build for the icy weather here in Oklahoma.

When I spoke with Superior Farms they only had the single comb Minorcas. The winter-hardiness is why I'd really like the rose comb. Plus the Minorca's body shape already looks exotic. Once you add a rose comb it looks like a funky little turkey/pheasant bird.

That's odd, I wonder if they're not selling them. They have black and blue rosecombed Minorcas as well as a barred variety.

I bet you anything that's what they're doing. Building up their own stock before selling the offspring.

Gah, I'll have to talk to Danny again and beg him to sell a few eggs. I'm really not wanting to set up some wild and crazy breeding project just to get them. I'm _hoping_ it'll be faster to just buy the actual RC Minorcas.

Did you see them showing the RCs somewhere? What makes you think they are building up their stock rather than have recently gotten out of them? It'd be good to know before I try to talk him out of some eggs.

Edit:

I just saw the RC Minorca rooster in your photo gallery. Yes - he's absolutely beautiful
smile.png

Last edited:
I didn't see him showing, BUT, I did work there this past summer. The reason I think he's building up the flock, is because there are:

RC Blue/Black:
1 cock
2 hens

RC Barred:
1 cock
3 hens

That's total number of breeding birds. When I was working there, the only ones laying at all were the blue/black Rosecombs, and that was maybe one to two eggs a week.

Uhoh....RC? In my gallery??? I had a single comb...but no rose comb! LOL!

Ah yes...it's coming back to me.

That was Sissy's bird. I don't know her REAL name, but the name we know her by is Sissy. She got that bird from Forrest Bueaford as a trade for taking care of his birds for him when he went somewhere.

Forrest kept the better bird, but wound up selling him to, you guessed it, Superior Farms.

Back
Top Bottom