Who says Quaill can't free range? (don't try @ home!)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by magicpigeon, Jul 24, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last of my 2010 quails whose buddy died yesterday free ranging. He knows how to come back inside the quail coop with some food bribery though I don't think this is for all quails! From what I've heard I've been very lucky in the respect I got some smarter birds. [​IMG]

2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    you should try breeding you own strain and market them as 'boomerang' quail (coz they always come back lol) [​IMG]

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] nice pics

4. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    I had a male Italian that over the course of 3 days I found in my yard out of the pen, I couldn't for the life of me find out how he got out and never saw him do it, he never went far and whenever I found him he was always pacing up and down outside the run trying to get in, well there were 5 girls in there! on the fourth day he was missing from the pen again but this time he wasn't in the yard either and I could see the large stinging nettle that he obviously ran in for cover had been trampled, more than likely by a neighbours cat [​IMG] he was nowhere to be seen and has never been found so I assume he was taken, whenever I have had a quail escape by accident they never really fly off they just tend to wander around it is also fairly easy to catch them as long as your movements are slow just get them into a corner and pick them up, I'm not saying they won't fly off and I definitely wouldn't recommend free ranging as a permanent thing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by