Who Says Silkies Don't Perch!?

Laurajean

Slightly Touched
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I KNOW I read a thread on here a while back saying that Silkies don't perch. I remember because 5 out of my 7 chicks turned out to be Silkies and I've been trying to figure out how to modify my coop for them to have a flat space, maybe above the nest boxes. Well, right now they're 36 days old, still in the brooder and the Silkies are perching on a stick I put in! They're in a little line with the D'Uccle and Cochin, just perchin' away.

Was the thread about Silkies not perching wrong, or are my Silkies oddballs?
idunno.gif

Hi there! thats so intersting! i heard the same thing, Im going to pick up 5 two week old silkies tomorrow!!! Im psyched! I was sorta wondering what to do with them in the coop when its time. Maybe mine will perch too! Im also from NH! my latest problem is that im new to this, and addicted and ive gone OVERBOARD and im thinking i need a bigger coop. I have too many birds. 4 RIRs, 2 frizzles, 2 frizzle mixes and now my most favorite group, the 5 silkies. is that too many? oh boy my husband is gonna kill me. LOL he has been away for a few days on business and ive gone chick crazy. yikes!

kaitlyn

I have 2 Silkies and a Sizzle...the Silkies almost always roost, but occasionally I find one sleeping on the floor in the corner. The Sizzle usually sleeps on the floor in the corner. I guess it just depends on the individual bird.

Quote:
Wow, you're only about a half hour from me! I'm in the Pittsfield/Barnstead area.
frow.gif
That's not a lot of chickens by most BYC standards! I have 7 Bantams. I only wanted about 3, but they wouldn't deliver only 3 way out here, so I had to get a minimum of 8 (lost one little guy shortly after arrival.
sad.png
) There are some of my Silkies that aren't perching, but it seems like they alternate. One day some will be perching, and the next day it will be some other ones, so I don't know what to make of it. All I know is that they're all cute as hell. I have one Cochin who is SO mellow. She just sits there, all the time. I thought something was wrong with her legs, but I've now come to the conclusion that she's just lazy, lol.

Yes, a Sizzle is a cross between a Silkie and Frizzled Cochin. He has some Silkie characteristics, but has frizzled feathers (they flip out, kind of curly). Actually, he's the little guy in my avatar, but it's a small pic so I know it's hard to see.

Back
Top Bottom