Who Sells Eggs?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Boyd, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I am curious, I had close to 13 chickens before the coyotes started rambling, and had enough eggs for me and my extended family. I had a few people who tried mine and asked me when I was going to start selling eggs... like farmers market etc.

I was curious; How many of you sell eggs like this, How did you get involved, What kind of setup do you have to do this?

I am just a backyard hippie who wants to be healthier, but I've realized that this is also sort of a business to many (duh i know, but still...... duh)

Any input appreciated!

2. jonathansenn

jonathansenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    East Dublin, GA
    i hope you get a lot of replies to this because i am in the same situation you are. I have a coupe of people at work who I sell to. I sell my eggs for the same price they do in the local store. They tell me a day or two beforehand they need some eggs and I bring them to work. If they return the egg carton and I give them a discount. I also barter eggs for favors like clothes washing, cutting the grass [​IMG], baby sitting, etc.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    we sell our extra eggs. chicken and duck.

we charge 50 cents per duck egg and $2 a doz for chicken eggs.

our set up... a fridge, cartons and word of mouth.

4. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    We sell our eggs for $2 per dozen. And here lately,,we cant keep up with the demand.

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    [​IMG] I hear that. I want to get my flock going again... darn coyotes.... ACK! If I only had a larger coop........

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We also sell ours for $2. After we move and get more chickens, we will be advertising.

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We sell our too. We get $2.25 a dozen. Word of mouth and the sign at the end of the driveway is our advertisement.

8. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I'm trying to build my flock up so I can meet the demand. I only sell 1-2 dozen per week right now, but have lots of interest. I sell at church and work, but neighbors are starting to call. I stopped giving freebies to family and friends.

I sell chicken eggs for $2 per dozen. (Ducks coming soon!)

I want to set up a schedule so I know to have eggs ready on certain days for certain customers. I have one person on it so far for eggs every other Sunday. [​IMG]

9. texaschick-a-dee

texaschick-a-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas coast
    I sell mine $2 per dozen and have one customer (and some relatives) that buy from me. He comes by almost every weekend and buys "whatever we have" which is usually 10 - 14 dozen. It all started with a sign in the window of a convenience store.

10. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    For a farmers market, you need to check your state laws. Here in Ohio you can sell eggs from your home, but to take them off your property you need a vendor's license.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by