Who Sews??

I mostly use mine for halloween costumes, tote bags and craft projects. I have a Kenmore at least 30 years old and just a basic machine. If I were ever able I would want one that does embroidery. Other than that I cant say, I dont know much about the new ones. Oh, and mine doesnt have its own cabinet, I just take it out and use the kitchen table. For me the cabinet is just another thing taking up space.

My friend is a professional seamstress and she uses a basic Pfaff machine and swears by it. She does beautiful work. She also uses a serger, but I can't remember the brand. I'll ask. I have a Kenmore that I got new in 1976 and it's a jewel. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It has all metal parts, no plastic. The best thing you can do when you have a sewing machine is to find a repairman who you know does good work and take your machine in once a year for cleaning and adjustment. It really makes a difference.

When my husband told me I could get the machine of my dreams, I went right to the Janome dealer and when she asked how much I wanted to spend, I said $1200 because that was the most outlandish number I could imagine. I ended up spending every cent of that $1200, but I've never regretted it.

My machine sews SO smoothly, is set up for sensible ergonomics, and has just been making me smile every time I look at it for 2 years.

I miss my old Singer, which I had for over 20 years, but the gears inside were plastic and the repair guy told me it would cost as much to replace them as to buy a similar machine. My friend, a professional quilter, has raved about her Janome machines (yes, plural!) so after trying a few out, I picked mine.

I would say try several machines, different brands, and see what suits you!

HAPPY STITCHING!!

Singer is my choice but Singer is no longer the same Singer it used to be.

I have several old machines that I love to use. The oldest being a 1909 model Singer.
smile.png
I also have a new model but really i don't use all the features.

I would suggest going to s dealer and actually trying to use some of the different machines and looking at the prices and options you think you will need and want.

After the sewing machine you are going to want a serger.
wink.png

I have an old singer that I got soon after we got married in December of 1973. Sometimes I think I'd like one of the new fancier ones, but no more sewing than I do anymore I probably never will get one. Other than a good cleaning I've never had to have it worked on.

I use a Babylock Decorators Choice and love it. I make show clothes for horse shows and put alot of miles on my machine. It does everything I ask of it, including sewing leather on show shirts. I also handles heavy fabric. Babylock and Brother are made by the same company and are German. A friend of ours owns a sewing machine repair shop and highly recommends Babylocks as a well built machine. I do have a Brother that I use as a backup when my Babylock is getting it annual cleaning and tune up. Both are good machines. My very first machine was a Brother that only did straight and zig-zag stitches and I sewed many a mile of fabric on it without any problems.

It depends on what kind of sewing you want to do and how much money you want to spend AND if the right kind of sewing machine repair facilities are near you.

I had a basic White as a teenager many years ago, it was a straight stitch/zig-zag, fine for just sewing clothes without anything fancy. My second machine was also built by White and had maybe 13 fancy stitches, I used that for 25 years and even machine quilted with it.

These days I have heard Brother is good for a basic machine. I wanted to get more into quilting so once repairing the 2nd machine cost almost as much as a new basic one I upgraded to a Husqvarna/Viking Platinum 750 Quilt machine. It cost my about $1100 on sale. It has all sorts of interesting quilt stitches, is great for clothing and even does some minor embroidery, alphabet, etc.

This will probably be my last machine ever.

I'm sure between all the replies you'll find something you like. Best thing to do is go to some stores and run a few, find one you're comfortable with. Bring a piece of your own sewing to try it on.

I also found I wanted a machine that made buttonholes EASY. Mine does, that was my most important feature besides the ability to machine quilt with it.

Thanks everyone. I do have a Brother machine that I have had for 5+ years, but it is very frustrating to use. I spend more time, re-threading the needle, or unpicking gobs of thread that has knotted together on the fabric, that I don't use it very much. I do have a serger, that I got 4-5 months ago, but really want to do some quilting, and sewing some clothes, and other craft projects, so I need a good sewing machine. I think I will go to a store and try out different machines. Thanks again for all the advice and opinions.

Steff

Back
Top Bottom