Who to choose?

Which rooster

• Espresso (1)

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Brewster (2)

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
Did you say that one of them has 2 spur's on each foot? That's the one that I would cull. One set of spur's on a rooster can do enough damage to hen's while breeding, let alone having an extra set of them.
Yes he does if you look at the pictures of him and look at his feet then you can make out both spurs. The 2nd spur isn’t very big, but it’s still there.

Yes he does if you look at the pictures of him and look at his feet then you can make out both spurs. The 2nd spur isn’t very big, but it’s still there.
If he was mine, I would cull him, if only for that. Rooster spur's can still grow later on. That's why some people have to trim the spur's sometimes. I wouldn't want a rooster that could hurt my hen's by having double spur's.

Maybe, maybe not, best to ask one of the genetics gurus about that.

Could be, or most likely just poorly bred. Most hatcheries don't worry too much about breeding to the standard.
We hatched him on our farm so a cross is very likely

As you only want the barring for your future breeding project, I would let the hens choose the one they like best, ultimateley they are the ones who have to put up with him.
Espresso is higher on the pecking order but Brewster has been around the hens about twice as long as espresso

Back
Top Bottom