Who turned on the egg laying machines?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by panner123, Feb 4, 2011.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I figured to give the hens a rest this year. So I didn't use any lights in the coops over the winter. So for the last 2 months I have had almost no eggs. Today when I when to clean the coops and put in some new nest boxes, I found 30 eggs that wasn't there last night. Will be back on track if that keeps up. Only thing I did different was add some protien to their feed, guess that worked.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Egg Bonanza here too.
    Chickens that havent even considered laying in the last 2 months are cranking up...

And the incubator is hot and ready!

3. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] wow, how many hens do you have? Mine have been laying a little better but out of 20 I am lucky to get 6.Your lady's deserve a special treat

4. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Same here.....I let mine rest this winter and good lord had to buy store eggd once.
    I could not even eat then.watery,yolks roke.awful things.
    Anyway, girls are laying like crazy
    Getting about 15 a day from aprox. 20 hens=)
    I love em [​IMG]

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    My girls stopped last, ooooh, October? Decided to not use lights this year. Have been getting 1 egg every other day from a NEW RSL I recenlty purchased. Yesterday, I got 4 (3 cracked in the cold), and all hens look to have nice red combs again. I expect things to pick up here shortly. I sure hope they don't decide to take a 4 MONTH break every year, or things might have to change around here. [​IMG]

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My girls stopped around Oct.. first it was molting, then the days got shorter and I also ended up purchase a dozen eggs for Christmas baking! I have been lucky to get one -two eggs daily.. Last three days I have gotten 4 eggs from my 11 girls.. Today, my second FBCM pullet laid her first egg... So, Now I am waiting on my four true Ameraucanas... Come on spring!!

7. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    And here I thought it was just my amazing hens - egg production has doubled over the last few days.

8. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    [​IMG]

30 eggs!!! WOW!

I did notice it didn't get dark until 6:00 here in CA. I think spring is starting to slowly crawl her way here. I can't wait! My BCM laid one yesterday. First time, (for me at least) not the color I was expecting though [​IMG] . But hey, she is laying! 30 eggs is quite a feat!

9. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    After a month of rest, my girls started popping'em out again too.

I got nearly two dozen in one night out of 24 girls. Normal I get half that.....

10. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Our 14 girls(11 that had been laying) slacked off back in November to average 2 eggs a day. The last week they have started to pick up again averaging 5 eggs a day. Hopefully they will kick into high gear soon!

Larry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by