• HAY

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • STRAW

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • NOTHING

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • GRAVEL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OTHER(if you choose other please comment what you use)

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters
I know a lot of people out there believe that it is dangerous to use
DE but, I have been using it for over a 1 and a half.
I would like to invite all DE users to talk and share information
or anyone thinking about using DE.
PLEASE be helpful and appropriate
All information is welcome.

I got 2 new kittens that brought fleas into my house! First time, ever. I didn’t want to use a toxic bomb, so I used DE, advertised for crawling bugs, sprinkled over all floor surfaces. It was a mess and I left it down until every flea was dead and all had hatched and died. Bot, it killed everything, including stink bugs and lady bugs. Works on ants, too. I’m still getting it up, but it was worth it.

I’ve read a lot about the pros and cons and they all sound pretty reasonable.
So, I use it but sparingly. I rub surfaces down with it like roosting bars and underneath the straw in the nesting boxes. I also sprinkle it in our beds to keep fleas at bay during the summer. DE works by tearing cuts into the insect’s body.

It’s their exoskeleton, which protects all internal organs. And, then, they dehydrate. Dead, bug!

This fall we put down a base of DE, then pine shavings on top. We have been using the deep litter method this winter, and the DE works great to "clump" any poop that it comes into contact with. We also have a poop tray under the roost that we scrape off every other day, so that helps a lot!

Tell me about using it for fleas. I’m still trying to get it up :( but fleas are GONE, GONE, GONE!
I mix de and salt and sprinkle on my carpets especially in the cracks along the baseboards the rub it in with a vacuum attachment (not running) wear a mask and then let it sit a good 24 hours, then vacuum.

I know a lot of people out there believe that it is dangerous to use
DE but, I have been using it for over a 1 and a half.
I would like to invite all DE users to talk and share information
or anyone thinking about using DE.
PLEASE be helpful and appropriate
All information is welcome.
We JUST started the Deep Litter Method or whatever you guys call it. We mixed DE in w/our Shavings and added an extra layer as we just started it's already cold in WI. My husband said AS SOON as he dusted w/DE there was 0 door. We do have a fabulous air exchange system but let's face it...Chickens can stink. Ask again in the Spring and I'll be happy to share our experience/journey 🤞🤞👍👍

I've never heard food grade DE is a problem.

Due to illness, I haven't been able to shovel out my coop this fall. All of a sudden, MITES. I put 2 buckets full of DE in the run, plus 1 in each coop. They've been bathing happily away.

It's not a good substitute for better husbandry, but in the short term, they're far more comfy. I either have to clean it out myself(unlikely, COPD is worst it's ever been) or hire someone.
We ALWAYS wear Masks to clean out the Coop...just to stir up the Shavings & DE. I keep a zip-lock bag of Masks in the Coop at all times as we don't have a Tray or anything like that. We live on a 120+ y/o Farmstead now our Hobby Farm. As a RN...I wouldn't ever recommended cleaning out any of our Outbuildings w/o a Mask. Respiratory Illness is usually non reversible ✌❤

Back
Top Bottom