1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Who uses diatamacheous earth? How do you use it?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken farmer, Dec 8, 2014.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    How many of you guys use DE,and how do you use it? I sprinkle it on the coop floor/nestboxs/roosts than put the bedding down,than I sprinkle some in there feed. It helps get intestinal parasites/mites/ticks/fleas/lice/ants/and other little crawlers. If any of you never used it before definitely check it out.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's basically how I use it but especially on roosts, nest boxes and in all the nooks and crannies that I can't clean.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Mmmmm, nope, I don't think so.....

DE is ineffective once wet as it kills insects mainly by desiccation.
    It is put in many livestock feeds to kill any insect pests that may be in the feed while it is being stored.

It should work good in the 'nooks and crannies' of any part of the coop structure that stays dry tho, that's where I use it.

Make sure you get 100% DE that is food grade.....there are some DE products that are mostly bentonite clay.
    Learned the clay lesson expensively, best place I've found to get it is a a real feed mill where they use it in bulk mixing feeds and it's only about a buck a pound.

4. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    No it does help rid intestinal worms in animals,such as this vetinfo page says in the ''Administration'' part of the article http://www.vetinfo.com/using-diatomaceous-earth-to-worm-pets.html

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  5. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    The jury is actually still out on this, at least from a scientific consensus point of view. Two of the largest studies (North Carolina and the UK) failed to gather conclusive results regarding treatment in large animals. This is actually near and dear to me since my farm participated in a federally funded study of Hereford cattle. Our study failed to produce lower fecal egg counts, and actually the worm load in the DE group was higher than that of our chemically wormed herd and the control group at the end of the study.

Of course this is large animal stock and not chickens. But from my experience, DE has not kept my flock from getting round worms. I have never treated my flock chemically, but then last week I had shedded round worms on the dropping boards. So I'm now on a Valbazen/safe Guard worming cycle. If it works for you that's great, everyone's husbandry techniques differ.

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/DE.html

6. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by