Who uses their chicken compost?

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
Wow! Chicken compost is the ultimate best soil! We started it last year and the bottom is perfect garden soil! Unbelievable! I've started throwing fruit skins, vegetable tops, rotten vegetables and weeds in the mix too! I've never been so excited over compost!

So what exactly do you put in the compost? Wood shavings, poo, grass, food????? I would like to start one once the chicks get out into the coop in a couple of weeks but we were not sure what should go into it for the garden.

As for me, all of the above, plus weeds, leaves, coffee grounds, egg shells, stale beer, veggie trimmings, almost anything vegetable based. No citrus or animal fat.

Avoid cat and dog poop due to possible pathogens.

Last edited:
So what exactly do you put in the compost? Wood shavings, poo, grass, food????? I would like to start one once the chicks get out into the coop in a couple of weeks but we were not sure what should go into it for the garden.
Exactly, but weeds instead of grass. We started it last year. Since my flock poops mostly in their run and on the poop boards, there is more poop then chips. However, we will clean the whole coop out and throw the chips in there too. My hubby turns it over with a shovel once every 2-3 months. I thought it would smell when wet, but I was wrong. It's full of flies and mushrooms too. I never imagined that it would be pure soil underneath like that. It's better soil then what you buy in a bag I think!

Thanks guys...appreciate the input...now off to find a compost spot and start with the brooder poo.
smile.png

My compost is right next to our garden, just on the edge of the woods. It's pretty big now. We use it to fertilize our trees as well.

I started mine on the ground. No container. I have a big compost area since I compost 100% of my chicken poop and chips.

caf.gif
Before you use your compost you need to make sure that it is not hot.It will burn your plants and whatever you use it on.I'm not sure how long,but it needs time to cool down.I feed my egg shells back to my chickens for calcium.When I clean my coop i remove the shavings and poo and place it in a pile or in my compost bin.It makes wonderful fertilizer.I then put fresh shavings in and do the deep liter method.

Back
Top Bottom