Who watches your ducks when you go out of town?

ambrose

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 16, 2012
Or do you go out of town?
Or do you bring them along with you?
smile.png

Would you ever leave ducklings in the care of someone else for a weekend? Or how soon would you feel OK doing that?

Things to think about in having someone else watch your ducks?

My sister-in-law is routing for me to get ducks and has said she'd help watch them as needed.

I'm planning to get ducklings next spring, but i know there's one weekend mid-spring we'll be out of town for at least one night. Should I make sure the ducklings arrive after that? I had originally been thinking as early as possible since once summer comes we'd be more likely to go on more trips. And I'm not sure just how precisely such things can be timed.

If I get them familiar w/SIL and her well versed in duckling care, think it'll be fine for a day or two?

Last edited:
I'm trying not to stress about this. I have 10 right now and 8 more coming so I couldn't take them with me. My mil lives on the same property we do- so she could and would. But that means she cannot go. LOL Good luck!

I dont really travel. I've spent the last 17 years moving around for my husbands job. I dont have anywhere I want to go besides my farm. If I were to go out of town then my husband would have to tend the flock which includes 3 horses, 4 cats, and 2 dogs one of which requires twice daily medication given the same time every day. The nice thing is he doesn't want to go anywhere either.
big_smile.png

For longer trips, one of us stays home.

For overnight, my beloved tends the flock of nine runners and two buffs.

We also have trained duck helpers who can back us up, and two sets of lovely neighbors who are animal competent.

It takes a village
hide.gif
and a plan. We have agreements that I may call just to check in. No one gives me a hard time about it.

I usually don't go anywhere lol but in June we are headed to south carolina for a week .....I'm TRYING not to think about it lmao My boyfriend gets asked EVERY day "you are going to take good care of my animals right?" lmao and its only April...he gets sooo mad but I am their sole guardian.....and an overprotective mother, so yeah, I am going to ask lmao

I am out of town all the time, but I live with my dad. We agreed that if I take care of the ducks when I'm home, he'll do it when I'm gone. If we're both gone I get my aunt to do it. Personally, I don't have any problems letting someone else care for them for a couple days, as long as that someone likes animals and is trustworthy. Ducklings grow so quickly that you should be fine after a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom