Who will guard the flock?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by eggsgalore, Sep 3, 2008.

1. eggsgalore

eggsgalore Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Is it true that a gander (male goose) is able to protect a chicken flock against bob cats and raccoons?
    PLease share your ideas. We live in bob cat / raccoon country and it is so scary to let the chickies out.

2. eggsgalore

May 4, 2008
    Quote:Can anyone help me answer this?

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I don't know, but it would be interesting to know!

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    No, a bobxcat will kill the gander. At first the cat will back up, but in the end the gander will be dinner.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The goose has no chance. The 2 animals in question both have razor sharp teeth and claws, a flogging from wings won't stop them.

6. tressiah

tressiah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2008
    Beecher, Il
    What type of animal do you think would help protect the poultry ? I have a big dumb dog on a chain, since he thinks chasing chikens is fun, he comes off to run when the chickens & ducks are up @ night, doesn't leave the yard unless a fed ex truck comes by, then off he goes. We are responsible pet owners, and believe me, if our dog hurt a neighbor's animal, we would step up to the plate. He has his vaccanations updated , and if a stray comes in our yard, he goes nuts barking & growling. He plays sweet with the GK's, and they love him.
    My nephew was riding his bike, & headed for a large snake, when the dog jumps in front of him, grabs the snake & flings it around. Not to think it was poisonious, but he felt the need to protect anyway. Scared the kid nearly to death !
    I have heard that goats or mules will protect. We have nubians, but penned. Info would be appreciated .
    Thanks

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The best animal to protect your flock is... you. By getting them into a protected run area (since it sounds like predators may be a major issue for you), you'll protect the birds, maintain peace of mind, and not worry about whether a dog, goose, or other animal "protector" will do an adequate job of keeping the flock from becoming dinner for anyone or anything.

8. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    I strongly recommend a Great Pyrenees...or two.

9. eggsgalore

May 4, 2008
    Thanks everybody. I'll guess they have to spend more time in their run when I am not outside [​IMG].

10. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Are you really in danger of day time predation by bob cats and raccoons?

I've heard llamas are good at flock protection.

Even if your dog is tame, the wild animals don't know that. The presence of the dog will probably deter any predator. Heck, just his scent marking would go a long way.

A rooster along with your dog should be adequate during the day. Chickens don't fight off predators in nature, they hide then run. Don't get all white chickens and have a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by