Who would steal eggs?

SassyKat6181

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Western Mass
I've been selling my eggs to friends and family, but have become overrun and decided to set up my mini fridge on the front porch with a cash box and "Farm Fresh Eggs" sign out front. Put 6 dozen in there this morning and was excited to see 1 dozen gone when I checked this afternoon. Upon opening the cash box.......empty! Who has the nerve to walk up to someones porch, take eggs and not leave the $3?
somad.gif
I really hope they were hungry. Does this happen often? What can I do? I am too busy to have people knock at the door. Thanks

Yikes! I would put up a friendly and cute sign saying something like:

~Farm Fresh Eggs on Your Honor~
If you have a need help yourself,
But next time price is doubled!
Our hens hate working overtime!

Well, that does take a lot of nerve, but the world is full of nasty people as well as nice. I would imagine that the vast majority of the population would never dream of doing something like that -- unfortunately, it is the few bad apples that we remember. I worked retail for over 20 years, and I had thousands of very nice customers -- having been out of it for about 5 years now, I can truthfully say the handfull of really nasty ones, the ones that made me cringe every time I saw one of them walk through the door, are the ones I remember the most.

I guess the only real thought I have about trying to prevent this is 1) make sure your cash box for accepting the money is somehow secured so that someone can't walk off with it and the cash and 2) perhaps you could install some kind of a surveillance camera, or even just a dummy one (non-operational, but with a light and motion so it looks like it really works, available for like $15 at hardware and discount stores), and a sign that says "Video surveillance system in use. Drive-Offs will be prosecuted" (like at the gas station). Unfortunately, no one really will ever be proscecuted for a $3 theft, because no cop or DA would want to bother with it, but maybe at least that would deter them the next time.

I have the box mounted to the house above the fridge. I bought it at staples, it has a slot on the top where you put the money in. Maybe I ought to put an arrow above it. But there's a giant $3 on the front of the cash box. My husband had bought a motion sensing door bell type thing. When it senses motion, it rings in the house.....I think he bought it for coyote hunting. Maybe I can put it in the fridge and go greet customers when it rings. This way I will get to know the return customers and people will realize someone is home.

Wow, I think I'm selling our eggs too cheaply.... we charge $1.50 if they give me a carton and $2.00 if I provide the carton. I think the price is going up!

P.S. - Thieves are everywhere. They WILL have bad karma. I hope you catch them in the act next time. Stinky poop heads.

yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Everything is expensive here in Massachusetts. The "cage-free" eggs at the grocery go for $4+ so my $3 eggs are a deal. I just want to cover my feed costs.

p.s. I got a kick out of your "Stinky poop heads"
gig.gif

I think it's an awesome idea to put a small fridge out there with a cash box! I never thought of that. If I did that, the few people who buy eggs from me would never have to call ahead to see if I'm home, just grab and go at their leisure. Very cool idea. (And I have a bell sensor too that I can set up if I need to.)
wink.png

Sorry someone took some without paying. How many customers do you have? Someone may think they are running a tab.
wink.png

Is the box locked?

I wonder if someone did pay for the dozen eggs, but someone else had sticky fingers and helped themselves to not eggs, but the $$$?

I called my aunt to see if she needed any eggs one day and she told me that she raided her sisters hen house and took all the eggs. Same day the sister calls me and says "Would a snake eat 20 some eggs, I just killed one in the coop." Needless to say when the thief found out about the snake that put a stop to her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom