1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whoa... It DOES sound like a dying cat!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pipdzipdnreadytogo, Jun 27, 2011.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Love Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I awoke at 6:30 this morning to a sound I will likely never forget. It was a mix between a squawk and a screech, with a little peep added to the end of it. Moose, our 7 week old Easter-Egger rooster, has begun to crow!

So I woke up thinking maybe the dog got loose and grabbed a hold of a chick, which brought out the mama hen in me (a little growl and a quick look around, though I don't think my feathers fluffed out...). Yes, I was ready to clobber a dog! And then that little roo did it again and again and again until I thought he'd wake everyone up in the house! No kidding, he crowed about 6 times in a row before he gave up on his early morning practice, and the entire time I was sitting there thinking, 'Oh wow, it DOES sound like a dying cat!' and stifling my chuckles so as not to make him feel self-conscious. It was so funny to watch, though! He was balancing on a perch while 'crowing', which was throwing him off balance. He would arch his neck back just like the adult roosters, and flap his wings the entire time he emitted that noise. And he would kind of charge down with a peep after every 'crow'.

So here's the li'l future crowing champ, in all his glory:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (You can see our other little EE rooster in the background of this pic to the right.)

2. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Awww! He is beautiful!

3. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    My little guy just started crowing too. It does sound funny [​IMG]

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    It is the saddest sounding thing isnt - here they feel all macho and you are giggling at them under your breath - My Barred Rock boy - oh my - was the saddest crow ever !

5. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    He is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Tx for sharing- I could see it as hard not to laugh about.

6. laurabonitahopkins

laurabonitahopkins Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Well, his crow might be pathetic, but he is beautiful!

7. KaitlynChick55

KaitlynChick55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Calumet, UP of MI
    Hahaha! Congrats lil dude! [​IMG] He is sooo beautiful! I love the sounds of a roo's first crow... or first couple crows.. its hilarious [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by