pipdzipdnreadytogo

Fuzzy Feather Fanatic
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I awoke at 6:30 this morning to a sound I will likely never forget. It was a mix between a squawk and a screech, with a little peep added to the end of it. Moose, our 7 week old Easter-Egger rooster, has begun to crow!

So I woke up thinking maybe the dog got loose and grabbed a hold of a chick, which brought out the mama hen in me (a little growl and a quick look around, though I don't think my feathers fluffed out...). Yes, I was ready to clobber a dog! And then that little roo did it again and again and again until I thought he'd wake everyone up in the house! No kidding, he crowed about 6 times in a row before he gave up on his early morning practice, and the entire time I was sitting there thinking, 'Oh wow, it DOES sound like a dying cat!' and stifling my chuckles so as not to make him feel self-conscious. It was so funny to watch, though! He was balancing on a perch while 'crowing', which was throwing him off balance. He would arch his neck back just like the adult roosters, and flap his wings the entire time he emitted that noise. And he would kind of charge down with a peep after every 'crow'.

So here's the li'l future crowing champ, in all his glory:
95415_moose_7_weeks.jpg

95415_moose_headshot.jpg

(You can see our other little EE rooster in the background of this pic to the right.)

It is the saddest sounding thing isnt - here they feel all macho and you are giggling at them under your breath - My Barred Rock boy - oh my - was the saddest crow ever !

Back
Top Bottom