whoa! Look at this egg shell!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kari_dawn, Feb 26, 2012.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    More and more I am convinced that the foods I give my girls affect the color of their egg shells. I have been expiramenting with feeding my girls black berries, and have routinely been collecting eggs with wonderful lavender spots on them. Today, I picked up the most extreme colored egg I have seen to date. I think it may be one of my maran's first eggs...it is smaller than the other eggs I have been collecting. check out that purple color! And yes, the spots really are the color of my nail polish!

[​IMG]

This is just the latest in the series of lavender spotted eggs I have been getting! They are so neat!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    That is neat!!

Your nails look nice, mine get that long and then break off! [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    That is just too cool!

4. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas

Thanks. Usually, I do not let them get this long because of the work I do...they get in the way. Mine will grow and grow and never break or split...I am constantly trimming them.

I am super excited about this egg shell...I almost want to save it! I've never seen such pretty purple on an egg before...it looks like the color is sitting on top of the brown...

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Just to show that it isn't a fluke, here is the first lavender spotted egg I collected. The spots were not quite as purple as the spots on this latest egg. Still pretty though!

[​IMG]

6. AliceMae

AliceMae Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    'The Boonies' Minnesota
    [​IMG]
    Take a look at this ~ I call it "Trama Egg"!

After a stray dog came onto our property and chased my chickens they gave no eggs the next day, but the following day one chicken laid one egg only and that egg was very, very small!!

All was fine again on the third day, but what an experience!

7. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    wow, wierd! Chickens are such funny creatures! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by