Whole body shaking 3 week old Guinea

Well, I guess it is too late to worry about the imprinting. I don’t have separate brooders for ducks, geese, chickens and guineas. I have older fowl that are about 13 weeks old. They are out in the chicken coop with a large covered run with a kiddie pool.
I will definitely be more prepared next year. I definitely regret putting my goslings now 5 weeks old, with my chickens. They love to chew on my chickens tail feathers, but they are still too young to go out to the pond. I have 5 ducks with these younger chicks. Will the higher protein hurt the ducks. Also, could the chopped eggs be a substitute for the higher protein feed?
Another problem w/co-brooding, ducks in particular are messy w/the water, and wet keets don't do well. Hope your little one does ok.

No. Hard boiled eggs are good for them but are only about 12% protein.
Thanks. Those are great ideas. I just finished a small feeder box that the ducks can’t get in. The one keet still shakes. I’m hoping that he will recover. He is still very active. Only time will tell.

Another problem w/co-brooding, ducks in particular are messy w/the water, and wet keets don't do well. Hope your little one does ok.
Yes. The ducks are messy. I had already 5 ducks and 5 guineas together. They are 2 1/2 months old now. They seem to be doing fine. The guineas are just starting to vocalize. The ducks are almost fully feathered.
What is odd about the younger keet that is sick, is that he is the only one out of 15.

Yes. The ducks are messy. I had already 5 ducks and 5 guineas together. They are 2 1/2 months old now. They seem to be doing fine. The guineas are just starting to vocalize. The ducks are almost fully feathered.
What is odd about the younger keet that is sick, is that he is the only one out of 15.
Could be something it ate. Try vitamin B complex mixed at the rate of 1/2 tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. Make it the only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

It is good for both the keets and the ducklings.

The problems caused by imprinting normally show up when the guineas first breeding season starts. Before that everything can seem to be going great.

Yep, survival of the fittest, but Mother Nature forgets how persistent guinea folk are.😁

Yep, survival of the fittest, but Mother Nature forgets how persistent guinea folk are.😁
Little keet still shakes. He is not really lethargic. He is constantly moving and I have yet to see him laying still. I have put them on 30% protein feed and hydro hen electrolytes. There are no other babies showing symptoms. He is smaller, but eats fine. I’m thinking that he expends a lot of energy with all that shaking. I don’t see any signs of diarrhea or nasal discharge. I have been looking all over the internet to find a cause for this. The only thing that I consider is maybe trauma. 2 days before noticing the shacking, a 2 month old Guinea got into the brooder and in my attempt to get her out she panicked and trampled a few of them, 2 died that night a Guinea and a turkey. They were barely 2 weeks old at the time.

Little keet still shakes. He is not really lethargic. He is constantly moving and I have yet to see him laying still. I have put them on 30% protein feed and hydro hen electrolytes. There are no other babies showing symptoms. He is smaller, but eats fine. I’m thinking that he expends a lot of energy with all that shaking. I don’t see any signs of diarrhea or nasal discharge. I have been looking all over the internet to find a cause for this. The only thing that I consider is maybe trauma. 2 days before noticing the shacking, a 2 month old Guinea got into the brooder and in my attempt to get her out she panicked and trampled a few of them, 2 died that night a Guinea and a turkey. They were barely 2 weeks old at the time.
Did the trampling occur right before the shaking Guinea started to shake?

Did the trampling occur right before the shaking Guinea started to shake?
I like to think that I would have noticed it before since I really like to watch them several times a day. I first noticed it after. It seems fine otherwise. It runs and jumps, eats and drinks. There is no lethargy, just shakes. None of the other chicks have this malady. I’m definately thinking trauma, but I can’t see anything outward. There is no swelling of the legs to indicate any ligament problems of the legs. It just baffles me at this point.

Sure. Nutri-drench is another that is good.

The molasses is essentialy sugar.
Molasses is a good source of B vitamins. I had 2 geese develope wry neck. 1 had it for 2 days before I found the cause. A second one started the day after I started adding molasses to their water. Both recovered very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom