Whole flock is at risk

Would cocci take them down that quickly? They were looking fine a fee days ago and I fear most if not all will be dead in another day or two if the rest follow the same route as the first victim

X 2 on the get a necropsy if you have that many sick. Cocci can hit really really hard, especially on stressed birds. Are you seeing anything unusual about their poop? Is there anything you have added or done in the days before the first one got sick (you said it had been three weeks since you bombed the coop? anything after that? Is it a closed coop, how is the ventilation? I would change as much as possible right now in case it is environmental. Can you get them out of the coop they are in, change food, water, bedding, everything.

From what I have read here it will kill them quickly, I would get some Corrid and start treating if no other leads. A necropsy as previously mentioned may be a good Idea..

Nothing else other than changing the food. It's a closed coop but very well ventilated. Ridge vent, gable vents and two very large screened windows. I won't be able to do a thing until at least Friday due to work... 13 hour days.

I am so bummed. I have my lavender ameraucanas, 3 really nice black ameraucana pullets, my Swedish flower hens and some of my black copped Marian's in there. Basically my entire years work...

Are they indoors 24/7 or in the run 24/7? If they are always indoors can you increase the ventilation? You need a sq foot per bird.

I am not sure why you used a flea bomb on mites but do you know if the flea bomb you use leaves a residual? If the package says it works for longer than a few hours it does and you will need to get it off the hard surfaces as well as the bedding.

Last edited:
Yes, i used that product because of the residual properties. i understand your concern about the mite treatment but don't think that is the problem. The birds are kept indoors 24/7 and have 4 sq ft of space per bird. Ventilation is excellent.. It appears to be infectious in nature with a bird in pen number 1 first showing symptoms , then another bird in that pen exhibiting symptoms 2 days later. Now all the birds in that pen are showing signs + birds in pen number 2 and possibly pen # 3. I just heard 2 cockerels from pen # 3 crowing so at least some of them are still not affected.... I can't even do anything until tonight at best due to my work schedule. I just hope I don't lose them all by then...

Back
Top Bottom