Whole flock is at risk

Just checked my birds in the light and it looks like runny, potentially bloody stools.... I will try to get treatment for cocci today. Pen three looks ok so far so I might have time to avoid total disaster. What a nightmare

There are a lot of factors at play here, and it's really hard to pinpoint what is going on.

It could be cocci, or it could be the flea bomb, or it could be something else, or it could be a mixture of all of these elements. If you lose any more, if you can afford it, consider a necropsy. It'll help you address and maybe help the other birds.

For what it's worth, flea bombs are generally not bird safe. Though chickens have stronger systems than parrots, in the years that I've been involved with parrots I have read no few stories about residual insecticides such as flea bomb and termite control killing parrots within several day's time. It should not be ruled out. There is merit to bio-accumulation of toxins, especially in birds.

X2 on the corid. It won't hurt them to treat, but cocci can kill fast, if that is what it is. All the signs you have listed are the signs for cocci. Try to get the meds into them asap. Hope that is the problem, as it is fixable and will turn them around fast. You should see a small improvement in a half day or less...I treated mine for the full 7 days also.

One suggestion that was given to me. Try tipping some of the mixed water into some feed, to make it like a oatmeal consistency and feed that first. It gets the meds into them quicker and sometimes sick birds won't drink as much, so getting the meds in fast will be your best bet.

Best of luck and hope this works for you!!! Sooo sorry for your loss!!!!!
hugs.gif

I agree that this sounds pretty much like classic coccidiosis to me, especially if you are now seeing bloody stools. I hope you can get the Corid started asap. If you have birds that do not want to eat or drink you can give them the medicated water with a small, needless syringe. Just give them some every few hours until they start drinking on their own. If they are not too far gone they will perk up quickly once they are getting Corid in them.

Got the corrid and put it in their water. They were all strong enough to drink on their own so I am cautiously optimistic that I can save the remaining birds. So far I lost both of my Mille fleur Swedish flower hens which really bums me out + 1 production blue egg layer. Thanks for all your help. Hopefully the treatment will work

Please let us know how it goes. Give them vitamins in their water and probiotics when the Corid is finished. A half-strenght second treatment can be done after a week or so if you feel it is needed. Good luck. Good luck.

No new deaths this morning... One still looks pretty bad, two still showing some illness. The rest or looking good. The one that is the worst did drink some water while I watched and did peck around a bit. I hope I see a little improvement in her when I get home. She is a blue ameraucana that has great size and type + has the genes from her mother for x-large to jumbo very blue eggs. It would be a tragedy to lose these genes. Thanks again to all who have pitched in to help me. It is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom