Whole Foods & Trader Joes "fertile eggs" 16/3/10 DEVELOPING JUST FINE

Phage

Mad Scientist
13 Years
Aug 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
Read a thread yesterday about incubating store bought eggs and was amazed.

Went to TJs and whole foods just now and got fertilized eggs at both
Brown from WF - (16 days old) $3
white rom TJs - (12 days old) $2.49

They are a bit old -but gotta give it a go!!!!
will put them in to the incubator this evening.
and keep the thread updated.
Anyone else setting store eggs today??

Last edited:
Quote:
Have these eggs been refrigerated?
When I was a newbie I tried incubating an egg that I had washed and refrigerated.
It hatched, was deformed and sad.
I don't think its a good idea... JMO.
smile.png

really??
But it seems like lots of people have been doing this successfully for years, and apart from low rate of starting the hatching chicks seem no worse off than other chicks.

Well, you'll know in a week when you candle!

Did you sacrifice any eggs just to check on their general condition? I was a bit surprised at how pale the yolk was for being so organic, etc.

I set 23 TJ's last Saturday.... It's a long seven days watching the eggs have a joy ride in the egg turner.... Kinda like watching paint dry, but with more hope....

Ha! I worked at the Whole Foods corporate office years ago...before moving to the center of nowhere. I have to ask...how do you know how old the eggs are? How do you know they are fertilized? Are you just buying a carton of eggs with a hatch date and then candling to see if anything is in there? Amazing...I had no idea. Now I am too far from the civilized world to visit Whole Foods or any other "real" grocery. Good luck!

I like the Christmas Miracle story...not so much the ending.

Quote:
Both the WF ad TJs egg cartons stated "fertilized eggs" on the boxes, and there is a "lay date" on the end of the box. I asked in the store just to check that the date stated was the lay date.

Are they selling them for eating? Is there some benefit to eating fertilized eggs? Seems like and odd thing to advertise. I'd think most people would be adverse to buying fertilized eggs for eating.

Back
Top Bottom