Whole kernel (not cracked) corn

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
My son got a short paycheck last time and unbeknownst to me he bought our chickens whole kernel corn last week instead of their usual feed, because someone at the feed store told him they could eat it and it was cheaper than their regular feed or cracked corn. Will this hurt them? I am going to buy them some regular feed tomorrow but they have (sort of) been eating the whole kernel corn for a few days. I am worried that they might have a problem with impacted crop?, although they do have plenty of grit.

as far as i know it wont hurt them.ive fed my hens corn on the cob.an that was whole corn.an ive also fed them deer corn.wich is whole or cracked corn.

Good I'm glad to know about the whole corn. And, no, their diet doesn't totally consist of that. Most are free range. They also have kelp meal. And they get layer sometimes and mixed grains and table scraps.

They should have access to layer ration all the time. They will only eat what they need. My birds all free range but they still eat layer every day. Corn is just a treat. Kelp meal is just a supplement.

Donna

Last edited:
If reality says the chickens get corn this week, then they will eat corn this week. Lots of people live on rice and do OK, your hens will also do OK. There may be some decrease in egg production, but sub-optimal diets are sometimes part of life.
smile.png

Vicki

Yes, it is not exactal best for them to only eat corn, but its not gonna kill them. If they have white feathers, they might turn a bronze color, and yes, egg production might be lower than average. But if that is what fits your budget, then thats fine. I have seen birds that get feed good feed with poor care, but i would rather have plain corn and a litte layer with love and care. They are fine, and oh my chickens love when i throw some whole kernel corn on the ground. Although cant smaller birds choke on it?

The price of layer is ridiculous these days, as everyone knows. And actually, they don't necessarily need layer if they are getting a rounded diet from free range. We feed them layer throughout the spring, and fall, because we've found that's when they need it the most. We have had them for going on three years now and they seem to do just fine with that. We just have never fed them whole corn, and they don't seem to like it much.

Back
Top Bottom